• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

small river rod

Jim Wise

Can anyone recommend a short, say 10ft, rod for fishing a small river obviously capable of handling Barbel but still sensative enough to "enjoy" ie not built like a poker. Fishing either freeline or small weights with 8-10lb line and capable of being bought without the help of a bank manager.

Jim, I use an Ugly Stik Lite 10' spinning rod for similar types of situations, though I'd say any similar standard of lure rod should be equally good.

Ugly Stik Lites are obtainable for £40 - £45 delivered.

;)

H Jim l use the Nash 9ft stalker for my barbelling on small rivers as l prefer close in inside bank fishing ..Had barbs to near 11lb on it with no probs 1.75tc..
But l think its been discontinued l got mine from climax tackle and should have got two for 70 quid instead of one for 40...best 40 quid lve spent..

But check out the compact rods from TFG...Im after one as its 10ft and at 60 quid it aint bad value...come with quivers tip[s but l never use them just the avon will do me...

Cheers and tightlines mate..

Jim , unless it is a very small river that is riddled with snags and has to be hit and hold ,I don't really see that you need to be looking at ultra short rods which inevitably will be a bit pokery . In my view an 11 foot 1.5 to 1.75 TC rod should be adequate , there are certainly a few of those around .

Is this for the blythe ,as i've fished that , at barston (where it runs along side the golf coarse) solihul.its got some nice chub in there but even a 10ft rod may be too long in places ,i used a 10fter ok enough . a cheap £10 dragoncarp pellet waggler rod & my true trotter (fred crouch) and managed several chub too 4lbs .

DSC00257.jpg

Last edited:
TFG The Whisper river and stream discontinuted I think but still appear from time to time on ebay. 1.2tc 11ft avon plus quiver section might be a little hairy for boris but a nice all round rod.

Or even DRENNAN SERIES 7 METHOD FEEDER COMBO ROD 10'/11'6"

Has anyone got one of those John Wilson float/quiver rods? Are they any good? I need to get a shorter float rod for my boy (nearly 7, still quite small) as he was struggling with the 16-18ft Abu Suveran Match rod :)

R.

I've got an 11ft Drennan Puddle Chucker Carp Feeder rod which I use on River Dane for chub & for stillwater bream. But I don't think it will be o/k for barbel as it's max line rating is 6lbish.

I have a ten foot rod built for me by Dave Lumb............... it is superb and worth every penny.

Look him up, you will not be disappointed.

Bfw do the 10' 1.75 two section and 9' 2lb 3 section stalker type rods. Can turn these around fairly quickly.
Regards,
Bob

Back