• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Small river feeders

Richard Isaacs

Senior Member & Supporter
These are on the other feeder sale thread but thought they may get missed if not on a thread of there own.

So I’ve designed and built a cage feeder that ticks all the boxes for my preferred style of fishing. one for the purists that’s for sure.
Small/medium rivers, backwaters and streams,
Avon, dove, gt ouse, ivel, nene, loddon etc etc
targeting single fish that are usually very big and quite spooky.
let’s start with the colour. I think this is more important in these types of rivers and achieving something that blends well into the surroundings especially in clear water is crucial. Barbel do spook off incoming lines, leads and feeders. I’ve gone with a gravel colour but with a splash of weedy green to represent those gravel runs between the streamer weed.
the size has been cut down in both length and diameter. You don’t need a lot of loose feed in this type of fishing and a discreet feeder is far better.
it’s blocked at one end for slower release keeping the scent around your bait longer and they are a fairly low tunnel design profile too.
weight wise I’ve gone with 50/55/60/65 grams perfect for holding bottom in the main flow on these smaller rivers. No long booms on these and no strong links either. This is fitted with my release system which is important for extracting the fish of a lifetime from these snaggy waters the tube will pull away from the feeder at 6lb of pulling force which is perfect for staying on all day all casts but will definitely pull free before your main line does.
Quite time consuming to make
£16 for the 4 posted
F7F84577-066C-4BF6-93A5-4EB9248519BE.jpeg
98012F8B-FCFA-4944-96BD-65B0C1ACD853.jpeg
1EFE8402-3D25-4332-B951-93C3760710EE.jpeg
3D51F61B-1541-453F-A326-82F60BCDC301.jpeg
D205F601-2DAE-4362-BB86-7917D63EEB41.jpeg

Sod it. No interest in these ...... I’m keeping them myself........ sold. Message me if there is something specific your looking for and I’ll see what I can do.

Sod it. No interest in these ...... I’m keeping them myself........ sold. Message me if there is something specific your looking for and I’ll see what I can do.

Hi Richard.

I'd be interested in some of these, but is it possible to make them a little heavier ?? Say 2.5oz and 3oz, not sure what that is in grams. Some of the swims I fish are deep and a little more weight is needed to hold bottom.

Hi Richard.

I'd be interested in some of these, but is it possible to make them a little heavier ?? Say 2.5oz and 3oz, not sure what that is in grams. Some of the swims I fish are deep and a little more weight is needed to hold bottom.
Ok yeah I can do that. Roughly between 75 and 90g Will be mid next week before they are done.
how many do you want.

I can do a smidge more discount on 8 Simon as they’d still go as a small parcel.
£30 posted I’ll start them next week.

Back