• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Small river cold water baits

Hi Howard
I fish a small river and in all but the coldest conditions. I tend to use the same hook baits, but change the way I feed. Whatever I feed will have liquadised bread and mashed tuna, which produces a scent trail for Barbel to follow, and is very cheap. Have done well with this. Agree with that location is key, however believe that Barbel can move about and feed just after dusk, even on very cold days. I like to have at least 2 swims baited and rested for the first hour of darkness.
Regards
Shaun

Hi Howard
I fish a small river and in all but the coldest conditions. I tend to use the same hook baits, but change the way I feed. Whatever I feed will have liquadised bread and mashed tuna, which produces a scent trail for Barbel to follow, and is very cheap. Have done well with this. Agree with that location is key, however believe that Barbel can move about and feed just after dusk, even on very cold days. I like to have at least 2 swims baited and rested for the first hour of darkness.
Regards
Shaun

Many thanks Shaun- hadn't thought of that before and will give it a try. Cheers.1

For what it's worth.last season fishing murky water on the Dane .i landed an 8/12 barbel on 2. 8 mm carp pellets glued together.i don't know how he found them but its a nice fish for the Dane.not much smell about them so if he want's them he will have em.
Albert

Hi Albert,

That's interesting. A few years ago I had success using a very similar tactic, only it was a single 8mm halibut pellet glued to the hair via a trimmed down piece of cork.

Your case especially, definitely highlights that what is nondescript to us may be very easily found by barbel.

Thank's Darren.the thing that struck me was.i had no feed in and over the last 5 seasons had 157 fish from the swim all on big baits.you never stop learning .( a good thing)
Albert

Good angling Albert, nice fish. I assume from the fact that you know exactly how many fish you have had from that swim for some years, you keep a record of all your catches. That is something I have often thought of doing but never got around to (story of my life :eek:) I am sure it must help by showing up trends and so on. You may have inspired me Albert :D

Keep on keeping on Albert, tight lines fella.

Cheers, Dave.

Thanks David.nice to know it is helpful.i only weigh if they look over 7lb.i caught a carp(shame on me) from a pond last year on a 9foot float rod at 16 lb7ozs I put it back and forgot to photo it.my sons won't let me forget it .up till then I have kept a record of decent fish.
Albert

Good stuff Albert, and to add to that I have often taken Barbel with nowt 'in' but the hookbait, and have had barbel this season on the Lower Severn on a single 12mm boilie and as you 8mm pellet x 2, as you say if they want it they will. I think we must underestimate the power of the Barbel's ability to scent out tasty morsels, but that is their stock in trade really, perhaps we all should at times use the 'lighter' touch.

Good stuff Albert, and to add to that I have often taken Barbel with nowt 'in' but the hookbait, and have had barbel this season on the Lower Severn on a single 12mm boilie and as you 8mm pellet x 2, as you say if they want it they will. I think we must underestimate the power of the Barbel's ability to scent out tasty morsels, but that is their stock in trade really, perhaps we all should at times use the 'lighter' touch.

Hiya Neil,

Out of interest, do you remember the river colour and / or light values at the time - clear / coloured.... sunny / cloudy / night time ?

Cheers

I find the general character of rivers and the barbel that generally live there fascinating. I fish the kennet and there is one stretch that I fished almost exclusively last season and it was, based on my own experience and that of other chaps I met on the bank, a night time venue. You could sit in a swim during daylight and not a twitch. As soon as the light faded the rod tip would be bouncing about all over the place and a fish would soon follow. Spicy meat was often the bait of choice. I have been targeting another nearby stretch recently-virtually identical in terms of flow, features etc and yet I have come to realise through my own experience and by speaking to others, that as the light fades you may as well pack up. This seems to be the case no matter what the time of year. Strange.

if its warm enogu forthe to feed pellets work altohugh if its low and clear and aroun 6-8c ive done well on maggots.

I would align to that Andrew re maggots. Sometimes I believe we over think our approach around baits. I went through a phase about 10yrs ago of working with base mixes and flavourings, and ultimately, it didn't improve my catch rate.
Certainly on the smaller rivers, when it's cold, (clearly not bloody freezing ;) ), and clear, I use maggots or cheese paste.

Ian

All my barbel have been caught in daylight.in the 70s I had many multiple catches and I like to admire the river and wildlife in daylight.i have 4hour sessions and I suck the blanks back.
Albert

Hiya Neil,

Out of interest, do you remember the river colour and / or light values at the time - clear / coloured.... sunny / cloudy / night time ?

Cheers

Hi Darren.
I am not one for keeping records, unlike Albert:) but as it was recent past I think I can say the single boilie barbel was sunny afternoon, Severn was NSL ish and the other couple of occasions when I had 2 barbel on small pellet was when it had colour and was up a foot or so it was a clear evening at sunset, I also had a hook pull on a bigger fish.

In fact that little session had the tip dancing around all over the place, and I had not introduced any feed in the swim. I have a theory that will not be ground breaking :rolleyes: that the Barbel on popular stretches will move in at dusk to grub at all the feed that has been thrown in at the end of sessions by anglers, and they really get their 'heads down' too. Of course if they are in this mode it will be pointless topping up the feed as it may reduce your chances.

Most of our Barbel have been caught on meat this season at dusk into dark, no more than 2/3 rod lengths out, with meat accounting for the better fish.

I would align to that Andrew re maggots. Sometimes I believe we over think our approach around baits. I went through a phase about 10yrs ago of working with base mixes and flavourings, and ultimately, it didn't improve my catch rate.
Certainly on the smaller rivers, when it's cold, (clearly not bloody freezing ;) ), and clear, I use maggots or cheese paste.

Ian

I would never underestimate the catching power of maggots, and in winter don't think anything can touch it.

The power of maggots.1970 fishing behind the cound lodge hotel(now the riverside inn)I used a gallon and fished a 6hour session in bright weather and landed 16 barbel on 16s and double maggot.the water was 4inches above summer normal and falling.i fished the swim another 7 times in the same conditions and never had a bite funny these barbel .if was easy we would all pack up
Albert

The power of maggots.1970 fishing behind the cound lodge hotel(now the riverside inn)I used a gallon and fished a 6hour session in bright weather and landed 16 barbel on 16s and double maggot.the water was 4inches above summer normal and falling.i fished the swim another 7 times in the same conditions and never had a bite funny these barbel .if was easy we would all pack up
Albert

You aint wrong Albert :D

Cheers, Dave.

Back