• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Small Baitrunner

Andreas Opitz

Hi,

I want to add a small baitrunner to my collection for small river fishing and I've been looking at the Shimano 2500 ST FA (although the 2500 DL FA looks a bit more solid).

I'd appreciate it if anyone can recommend some other small baitrunners I should be considering? Don't really want to spend too much money on this...can get my hands on a 2500 ST FA for £35 but happy to spend a bit a more for quality etc...

Cheers.

Stretch to the XTFA if you can afford to. In addition to them being slightly better specified (more BBs), two proper metal spools and decent line clips make them worth the extra IMO.

Bought my wife a 2500 DL FA for Xmas. Looks and feels lovely although I think its a bit small for barbel fishing to be honest.

However, second time she used it the spool stopped oscillating due to something breaking inside. Shop replaced it and on the first outing that one developed a very poor bail arm action that periodically jammed open (no, it wasn't bent) and failed to close. So, she's on the third one now and I'm distinctly unimpressed. Never experienced anything like it with any of the other (many) shimanos I've got.

Maybe she was unlucky with her reels but its put me off that Shimano model.

Mine are Lidl specials from their March angling week.
£12.99 each and well pleased with them!

the old okuma epix pro baitfeeder 30. i've got the 40 and a pair of 50s (and the old old one in a 30) and they are super smooth reels. front drag, 2 spare (abeit plastic) spools, 10 bbs on the 40s and 50s but i think the 30 has a couple less.

There are a few on Ebay Sam but that's all I can find. Sound good though.

Now looking at the Okuma Epix ProV2 Baitfeeders. Like the look of them actually...any feeback on these anyone?

Thanks everyone for your input...very helpful.

There are a few on Ebay Sam but that's all I can find. Sound good though.

Now looking at the Okuma Epix ProV2 Baitfeeders. Like the look of them actually...any feeback on these anyone?

Thanks everyone for your input...very helpful.

yeah there not in production anymore. i think its been mentioned on here the new models aren't as good.

Stretch to the XTFA if you can afford to. In addition to them being slightly better specified (more BBs), two proper metal spools and decent line clips make them worth the extra IMO.

Ill second that I just bought a xt4000fa and love it first session with it landed two fish one bein a 11 great front drag!

I've used the 4000 dl's since they came out never had a problem with them, cracking little reel

Another vote for the 4000 DL's - great reels

I also have a 2500FA but find that the line lay is not very good - it tapers badly from the top. I have seen comments on other forums about putting washers under the spool but I cant get the line to lay level :(

Never mind i'll stick to the 4000's :D :D

Michael

Got my missus a Harrison Avon 1.6 and a Shimano 2500dl fa.

Caught her first fish on it on opening day as i stood with the net listening to the click of the reel and the bend of the rod. Must admit she was over the moon with it and it did look impressive.

Tried the same set up myself a few days later and managed to bag a 12.8 on it. My immediate thought was "i've got to get this set up for myself, it's ******** brilliant"!

Both thoroughly recommended.

Regards,
Jeff

Maybe christmas?

Back