• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Slow melt PVA mesh

David Craine

Senior Member & Supporter
Can anybody recommend a reliable slow melt PVA mesh ?
I already slow down the fast melt stuff I have by applying oils et, but am looking for a slow melt mesh that I can load up at home without having to doctor in any way. There are quite a few different brands available but I know to cost that some peoples ideas of slow melt mean about two hours, I am really looking for something that breaks down in about two mins, allowing the lead to settle before it releases its contents.

As an aside, last year I made up some fast melt mesh pods filled with spam particles, and left them in a bait box overnight. The spam oils were infused into the mesh and the bags refused to melt at all. 😋

David

Best thing I can recommend is when you tie the bottom bag knott pull enough of a tag end off to bring a second layer over the bag.
fill the bag, tie top knott then pull a second layer over the bag with your excess. Pull tight, tie and the pva will last longer being double wall.

Best thing I can recommend is when you tie the bottom bag knott pull enough of a tag end off to bring a second layer over the bag.
fill the bag, tie top knott then pull a second layer over the bag with your excess. Pull tight, tie and the pva will last longer being double wall.
Tried that, failed miserably Richard , 😕.

David

Used the Fox Edges slow & fast pva mesh in 35mm for the last couple of seasons. Been very reliable for me - it's worth buying the 20 metre spools as it's amazing how fast it disappears.

Fox Edges for me too . . .probably more expensive but does what it says on the tin. You'll notice the slow melt is more difficult to knot as its thicker . . .make sure you don't nick your hook through the knot as it will blob and probably never come off . . .!

Back