• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

'Slick' braid

Terry Simner

Senior Member & Supporter
Hi all, I've been thinking about moving from Powerpro braid to the 'Slick 8' version but its reviews are mixed... a fair few reports of snap-offs etc. I do like standard Powerpro (even though it's thicker than they state , and breaks at less than they state) but I was looking for something a bit smoother, and maybe lower diameter..without reducing abrasion resistance. Any ideas?

Hi Terry - I've been using slick for three seasons now and find it excellent. Strong and reliable. I've not really tried anything else I can recommend.

Cheers Richard... it's just when you see a few abysmal reviews you wonder whether it's worth risking it. Maybe they had early production problems that are now sorted.
ATVB

Yes, perhaps that's the case. It's also possible that the negative reviews are a result of using an unrealistically light breaking strain.

I was a pp user them moved onto pp slick. Imo it's far farbetter. I solely use it for legering and always use a leader etc. Colour choice is either bright green or timber brown. Fish don't care only the tarty angler. It's super strong and knots fantastically. I Have had some on my rods maybe 4 or 5 seasons now and only change the knot of I see some excessive chafing etc. I also have started using Kastkings mega 8 in 20 and 25lb. So far so good and a £12 for 300yds off eBay that's fine.

May I ask, Jon, what bs do you use in super slick? Also, I don't use a leader - just a soft rod. It's great stuff.

When using braid (always pp) I go by similar diameter and tend to ignore the breaking strains. I only have braid on one Barbel reel and it's 30lb (there I go ignoring the b/s) ;) similar dia to 8lb mono, the lightest I would consider in any situatiion.

My pike rods are 50lb (boat) and 65lb (bank), similar dias to 12lb-15lb-17lb mono (manufactures vary), 15lb mono being my standard go to when I used it.

I was given this advice when I first started using braid and it makes sense to me. Why go light in the b/s just because you can? more abrasion resistance, being able to get fish out quickly, having the confidence in your tackle to hit and hold away from snags, it's a no brainer for me.

I've never heard of the super slick! Probably because I'm happy enough with PP and never looked for an alternative. I was going to ask what's the actual difference between it and normal power pro? but a quick google came up with this;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olPJkxslD5E

I was expecting a lower diameter for the given b/s but that's not the case. I find normal power pro to be very supple once "worked" in. If this stuff is that much "limper" it might be worth a look!

EDIT!!

Just read this through, it wasn't a direct response to anyone or their opinions, it was a general observation on my views about braid applied on the waters that I fish. Talking to the bloke in the pub is easier;)

I use braid virtually all the time, occasionally for ledgering always for trotting, with the pin.
After being sold some dreadful Berkeley stuff, not Fireline but advertised as super smooth (it isn't) to fill my new Freeflow last winter I started looking around for something a lot smoother and less prone to fraying and bedding in. I found Fox Jig Silk in a local shop, it's sold as a spodding/marker float line and is brilliant. It's a flat braid which it turns out is exactly what's needed for trotting with the pin, no bedding in, floats like a cork and zero stretch, bright yellow too which helps with the visibility/mending.
The stated diameters with this flat braid are a bit strange. I also go for something about the diameter of old fashioned 6lb nylon ordinarily ie. .25mm but the first one I tried was useable but far too thick, now backing a flyline. IIRC the one I'm using now is rated as being 0.13mm, the same as the 4lb 12o
z Reflo powerline hooklink I often use! It's far thicker and more robust, over 30lb b.s. from memory.
Next time I'd get the size down, I think it was 0.11mm
Apparently it's a sinking braid, it isn't, floats beautifully.
It's definitely not round either.
https://www.anglingdirect.co.uk/fox...WRjrvdihb3k4v4lIHp7FKVHftPiKRlaoaArJkEALw_wcB

Terry I've recently bought two spools of the 30lb & first time out it lost it's colour.. binned it now.

Binned Steve??...it ain't cheap is it! You didn't bin it just cus it'd lost its colour?? Besides the dye coming out of it, what did you think of it??
ATVB

Terry. I have been using it this season as leader. The 15lb general pellet hooklink and 20lb for meat etc. More down to hook size and preventing possible cutting on large hook eye closures

It has not let me down once. Much prefer to std PP.

Always go through any swivel twice and if you use blood knots ensure its a tucked one to ensure no clinching or slipping ( sorry...granny strikes)

Timber brown for me. Great stuff

When using braid (always pp) I go by similar diameter and tend to ignore the breaking strains. I only have braid on one Barbel reel and it's 30lb (there I go ignoring the b/s) ;) similar dia to 8lb mono, the lightest I would consider in any situatiion.

Yes, Bob, 30lb for me too - for the same reasons. I totally agree that breaking strain pre-conceptions have to be forgotten when it comes to braid. It's the non-stretch, abrasion-resistance and general durability that are important.

Timber brown for me too, Graham.

The other line I was considering was Sufix 832. Anybody got any thoughts??

Been using PP Slick in timber brown ever since it became available. Also tried the Sufix 832, Sufix Pro 8 and J Braid for a limited period. I prefer the PP Slick8 overall, although the Sufix Pro 8 is good. Hunt around and you may be able to find it quite cheap - I got 135m spool of Pro8 for under £10 in green 0.21mm diameter.
For Power Pro Slick 8 I mostly use 0.23mm diameter which is nominally 20lb. When I buy braid (or any line for that matter) I always go by diameter as there are some pretty confusing claims regarding breaking strains out there.

Cheers
Bob

Binned Steve??...it ain't cheap is it! You didn't bin it just cus it'd lost its colour?? Besides the dye coming out of it, what did you think of it??
ATVB

Hi Terry the braid itself was pretty similar to PP but after my first session the braid just went white (where it had been in the river). I've had PP on for years & it keeps it's colour. I know it's a confidence thing but you'd think they could use a process that keeps the dye in.I bought it from Amazon for £12.51 a spool for 150 mtrs after seeing good reviews on Youtube. The colours of the Slick are a bit loud & I'm colourblind :)

Used to use original PP in 20lb for barbel but tried the Slick 8 in 15lb for light lure fishing. Didn't find it particularly reliable for that so recently switched to Kastking braid which has been super value and had no problems with it, seems far less prone to "wind knots" than PP.

Back