• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Singles / goal post set ups

• Thread starter Deleted member 3320
  • Start date
I didn't see anything in Terry's posts that lead me to think he was having a dig at anyone? Just some good practical advice for the OP.
If Terry is on Simon’s ignore list he won’t see his comment and when it was placed apart from if someone quotes Terrys comment.

You’ve jumped the gun Simon. Terry didn’t say anything to you or about your picture

Simon has got this wrong in this case as we can see but personally I'm all for criticism if the poster can give me good reason to change what I'm doing. I know you're supposed to give lots of positives before a negative when coaching/teaching somebody but forums like this don't work that way. Sometimes we can come across as rather blunt but 99.9% of the time any advice is well-meant. Every day's a learning day.😁

Simon I haven’t deleted any posts … I was just trying to give the op a bit of advice and i think my posts were put on before you posted pics

It’s up to the individual how they fish and in certain cases as Anthony pointed out sometimes rods need to be in the air …the point I was trying to make was in these clear water conditions imo it’s best to have your line pinned down as opposed to it cutting through the water

I think you might have got your wires a bit crossed but it’s all good that’s the trouble with posts on forums sometimes it’s hard to interpret what was meant but I can assure you none of my posts were in answer or criticism of your post

My post is I think 4 from the top so not deleted at all and way before your pics… don’t worry about it you’ve had a weston super 😁😁

Last edited:
Hi all,

What do you guys use with your barbel set up couple of storm poles with buzz bars or singles ? any form of back rest etc ?

Looking for a nice solid way to get the tips high had a small miss hap even on loose and I mean lose clutches with a flying bird yesterday and my real suffered.

Dan
Single Fox storm poles (one for each rod) with screw in, augered points and another smaller Fox euro bankstick with augered points (one for each rod) with a Korum butt cup is def the most versatile set up (irrespective of how high you set the tips) IMO. I generally use alarms on Preston angle locks but only because I don't like free running baitrunners / tend to nod off if its slow (which it always is on the WAvon) . . .

Don't like buzzbars on single sticks as they twist but do carry some adjustable Fox ones used in conjunction with a Korum Tripod adapter / Preston angle locks so I can create a tripod set up should the situation arise . . .

I think what's missing is that there is no hard and fast one way rule. Its easy to get swayed by seeing videos or the amount of posts from the Trent where rods high is the done thing. Find what's comfortable in the swim your fishing If your struggling to hold bottom then a bow in the line or more line out of the water could help so could heavier leads. I prefer bank sticks (not big) and rod rests (or dare I say alarms) but I do mainly fish smaller rivers where tips can be right above the water. Line angle into the water can also dictate what you do If say fishing a near bank swim I have in the past had a foot of rod under the water to keep the line down as far as possible.

Back