• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Singles / goal post set ups

• Thread starter Deleted member 3320
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 3320

Hi all,

What do you guys use with your barbel set up couple of storm poles with buzz bars or singles ? any form of back rest etc ?

Looking for a nice solid way to get the tips high had a small miss hap even on loose and I mean lose clutches with a flying bird yesterday and my real suffered.

Dan

Hi all,

What do you guys use with your barbel set up couple of storm poles with buzz bars or singles ? any form of back rest etc ?

Looking for a nice solid way to get the tips high had a small miss hap even on loose and I mean lose clutches with a flying bird yesterday and my real suffered.

Dan
I use single screw in storm poles with korum adjustable front rests paired with korum leverage butt screws for a pretty solid set up👍

New to barbel fishing and learning, I’m fishing the Thames at present cutting my teeth there come over from carp and going for more multi species which I enjoying. So it’s all learning for me.
Which stretch of Thames are you fishing? The current of upper Thames is not strong at the moment, no need to have your rod point to the sky. I just use one bank stick at the moment.

Around sunbury way, it may just be me I’m learning. And have a pre conception or high tips to the lead. I have not been been able to keep a 4 ounce lead from swinging into the weedy bits that are left.

New to barbel fishing and learning, I’m fishing the Thames at present cutting my teeth there come over from carp and going for more multi species which I enjoying. So it’s all learning for me.
You certainly don’t want your line cutting through the water if it’s clear just fish how you would fish your carp rods try and pin down as much line as possible … different if it’s tearing through with coloured water

Around sunbury way, it may just be me I’m learning. And have a pre conception or high tips to the lead. I have not been been able to keep a 4 ounce lead from swinging into the weedy bits that are left.
Fish upstream cast out and let out 3-4 rod lengths of line out so you have a bow in the line and the lead should stay where it is… watch out for the dropbacks

Hi Daniel,

I use a combination of both banksticks and a Korum Tripod. Both work for me, but I do prefer the Tripod if I'm honest.

IMG_2563.JPG
IMG_3121.JPG

Why do you want your rods up in the air ? Unless your fishing somewhere like the tidal trent…I’m fishing the nene as I write this and my tips are 8” from the water front rests are 2ft rear rests 10”
I would only fish tips in the air when there is debris coming down
Same as, I keep my rod tips as low as conditions allow and most of the time that's inches off the water. The lower your rod the lower the line to your rig and not that barbel care, the more inconspicuous it is!

Why do you want your rods up in the air ? Unless your fishing somewhere like the tidal trent…I’m fishing the nene as I write this and my tips are 8” from the water front rests are 2ft rear rests 10”
I would only fish tips in the air when there is debris coming down
Sometimes there's a deep channel with a rocky drop-off. Other times you can be fishing from the top of a high bank (nowhere suitable at water level) and keeping your lines above any bankside vegetation. If fishing two rods (one upstream and one down) it reduces the chances of a fish crossing your other line when playing it close-in.

like Terry I like to keep my rod tips just inches off the water surface where ever possible. The only exception is when the river is carrying a lot of extra water then I’ll raise my rod tops just to ease pressure off the line.

Main reason for keeping them down is to reduce the line angle going into the water and keep as much as I can as low as I can.
If possible I’ll then pin down 2-3 feet behind the lead and have a hook length of at least 3ft in front of it.
I think The key is to have a minimum of a full barbel’s length (3ft) of pinned line behind your bait and longer if conditions allow.

Another solid point Terry made is upstreaming if your struggling to get a lead to hold.
It’s a technique of ledgering all on its own in my opinion because done effectively it’s completely different to fishing a down stream line. You’ll get away with lighter leads. Pull at least a full rod’s length off and fish a bowed line. Wait for the rod tip to dance to indicate a bite.

Ive seen so many rods fished high on all manner of rivers I think in most cases it’s just a barbel fashion thing as there really is no need unless water pressure is high enough to start dragging leads. I would drive me barmy staring at the sky to watch for a bite.

@Terry Harman

I imagine your deleted post was aimed at me seeing as I'm the only one to post a picture. Thanks to others who have quoted it, i can read it. It's not the first time you've picked fault with how I do things. I'd appreciate it if you jogged on by and just mind your own business, I'll fish how I want to thanks.

Back on ignore.

@Terry Harman

I imagine your deleted post was aimed at me seeing as I'm the only one to post a picture. Thanks to others who have quoted it, i can read it. It's not the first time you've picked fault with how I do things. I'd appreciate it if you jogged on by and just mind your own business, I'll fish how I want to thanks.

Back on ignore.
Simon he made the comment before you put up your photo up In response to the op’s question.

Back