• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Simple rigs?

Craig Shildrick

Does anybody on here fish straight through with a feeder or is it now common practice to use swivels, beads etc?

Would it be more beneficial to use ledger stops and lighter lines if the conditions allow rather than heavier line with a link in?

Im still a novice with Barbel fishing so it would be interesting to know what other people use.

Cheers

The simpler the better I reckon. I do generally use swivels/quick links just to aid speed of change for different hook length material/hook size etc. As for beads etc, I guess it just depends on where/how you are fishing and how much weight you are chucking out and how far. I fish the Kennet so don't need much of a boom as most casts are underarm flicks. Limiting what you have on the line has to be a good thing but ultimately you need a balance in the tackle/rigs for safe and productive fishing. Understanding what each element is actually doing, it's purpose, is key. The more experienced anglers will, quite rightly, point out that most of our efforts should be directed towards fish location and general watercraft. Get that right and you are most of the way there. I am still on that learning curve!

I keep it as simple as possible, quite often in low water conditions just a swanshot on the line and hook tied on the end. Barbel don't seem to worry.

Hugo

With you there Hugo..if I could I'd freeline all the time in fact. I usually use a coated braid leger link off a running bead, hook length being adjusted by pushing the leger stop up or down the mainline. The only swivel I use is a the end of my leger link and has a clip on.. so as to alter lead weight depending on swim being fished. If I'm using braid hooklink (which I very often do) then a simple loop-to-loop attachment to mainline does the business. Nylon or fluro connected loop-to-loop with braid had never let me down.
My only addition to this is a float stop on the mainline, which acts as a leger 'back-stop' (semi-bolt rig) when I'm using slack line tactics..or as a stop for back lead when I'm using one.
Simple:)

I don't know about anyone else, but I wouldn't use a ledger stop in any application. I don't recall using one for well over ten years though I'm sure that I'll have some lurking somewhere in a tackle box.

Ledger stops wouldn't they weaken the line if it is the ones I am thinking about. You thread the line through a little tube and bung up the end with a bit of plastic thus trapping the line and also kinking it?

Brian

Ledger stops wouldn't they weaken the line if it is the ones I am thinking about. You thread the line through a little tube and bung up the end with a bit of plastic thus trapping the line and also kinking it?

Brian

No more so than Hugo's method of putting a swan shot on the line - I wouldn't fancy Terry's method of joining braid to mono loop to loop either - each to their own!

John Roberts' bait stops..used them for 8yrs now without problem. Easily repositioned, but stick where they're stuck. They dont have a hard peg like those in the 'bad old days', they're an entirely different concept. Re. loop-to-loop, as long as mainline (nylon/fluro) loop is replaced every fish caught, then I've found it 100% (yes, 100%!) reliable. I cant remember ever breaking at the loop-to-loop interface.

ledger stops pinch the line and i have lost fish because of the weakness it has on the line, your be better off with a few rubber float stops, you can get them XL as well as very small.

Ooooooooooooops, NOT John Roberts stops...they DO pinch line. Have a look Enterprise Adjuster Stops...they dont/cant.

Back