• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Signal crayfish

Dear All,

Below is attributed to Bushcraft UK. Hope this helps.

Here's the law in full...
http://www.defra.gov.uk/fish/freshwater/crayfish.htm

If you are thinking of trapping crayfish you should bear in mind that there are a number of conditions that need to be met. Permission to trap will be dependent on local situations, in particular the presence of the native crayfish. The EA will also take into account the possible detrimental effect that trapping could have on other species, such as protected animals like otters and water voles. Many water courses go through private properties and it will be your responsibility to obtain the permission of the landowner before you commence. You should also try and ensure that the traps are inspected every 24 hours, and disinfected after use.

You should also be aware that if you reintroduce the caught crayfish into any other waters, without the required licence, you could be liable for prosecution under the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981 and this could result in a heavy fine.

We would strongly advise you to seek advice from your local Environment Agency Officer before you make an application.

Crayfish trapping advice packs are available from the National Fisheries Laboratory 01480 483968. Further information on these byelaws can be found on the Environment Agency website.

Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981 and this could result in a heavy fine....

Hi Lee Im not trying to be a funny git here but im pretty sure that Act has a few loops holes in it !regarding prosecution .

If someone said ,when cought by the law ,i want legal aid in polish or , can i have a soliciter they always seem to get away with it !.

paul

Dear Paul,

I fear you are probably right in that a lot of things of a similar nature seemed shot full of holes, especially when clever barristers get their teeth into them? Much the same with "angling law" pertaining under the Theft Act. Much the same with the Fox Hunting Bill (and no in case anyone asks, I am neither pro nor anti on this subject) as that particular legislation was drafted then shot with a shotgun at point blank range there are so many holes in it!

The reality however with signals and the problem they pose is very much under estimated generally as the bigger picture is quite cater strophic long term. AND!! Yet again it high lights the sheer folly of decisions made in the past by people who "SHOULD" have known better by allowing their introduction in the first place? Sometimes I despair at so called "expert" decisions made by those who play with nature in order to satisfy the minority without so much as a by or leave for the consequences heaped upon our nations natural history.

Regards,

Lee.

I think you will find that the WCA (unlike the Hunting Act 2004) is considered a well drafted piece of legislation. Prosecutions have to of course to actually prove the case (it is criminal not civil law after all) and given the circumstance in which it is usually breeched prosecutions can be difficult. However the WCA was not a piece of populist legislation in the way the Hunting Act is. It is rather well thought out and basically protects all wild animal life (with some exceptions for fish, specifically designed to allow for anglers, if wild fish were covered under WCA angling would be illegal).
I am not sure what speaking polish has to do with it and I assume the poster is referring to the practise of Eastern European anglers taking the fish they catch from rivers...presently not usually a criminal offence in England (although it may well be a civil offence for which legal aid is not usually available...polish or not) although this may change with the new by laws. Fiishing without a license is a criminal matter and when caught the EA always proseute and from watching the porsectuctions reported I can't see anybody getting off through some clever solicitors arguments!
The theft Act pertains to property and wild fish in a river in England (different law in Scotland) are not usually considered any bodies property. The right to fish in the river is a different matter and this is civil rather than criminal law with the exception of the requirement that all fishing by rod and line in England requires a licence from the EA.

Dear Paul,

I fear you are probably right in that a lot of things of a similar nature seemed shot full of holes, especially when clever barristers get their teeth into them? Much the same with "angling law" pertaining under the Theft Act. Much the same with the Fox Hunting Bill (and no in case anyone asks, I am neither pro nor anti on this subject) as that particular legislation was drafted then shot with a shotgun at point blank range there are so many holes in it!

The reality however with signals and the problem they pose is very much under estimated generally as the bigger picture is quite cater strophic long term. AND!! Yet again it high lights the sheer folly of decisions made in the past by people who "SHOULD" have known better by allowing their introduction in the first place? Sometimes I despair at so called "expert" decisions made by those who play with nature in order to satisfy the minority without so much as a by or leave for the consequences heaped upon our nations natural history.

Regards,

Lee.

Spot on Lee. ;)

All i know is that any i catch will not be finding there way back into the water unless it's at 100c

If you take a look here, you will see a linked pdf produced by Buglife and the STA with a series of demands they are making in regards to action on crayfish. Including a ban on the continued import of crayfish, a ban on the sale of live crayfish and tightening of the present licensing legislation. This was published last September and if you are lobbying or talking to any body in authority it is a useful document to refer them too as the views of the STA usually carry rather more weight than most angling organisations.

Last edited:
We must of sold over 500 of these
tn4_913324.jpg
crayfish traps this year, all you do is put a bit of bacon on the little pouch, zip it up, throw in any waterway, river or pool.
Go back 24 hours later and bobs your Uncle
They are a bloody good eat and if you can get them free? Who cares?
For more information go to http://community.rivercottage.net/forums
As they are all at it over there

Stewart Moss as done an article on signal crayfish in coarse angling today magazine, I know it 's something he had been planning to do for a long time and he will have done alot of research on them and the impact they have.

I havent read it yet but it should make interesting reading as he fishes rivers that have been heavily affected by them.... and as angler he as been very concerned about the situation and how it will effect the future of fishing up and down the country

Cheers
Jason

Following on from your post Jason, I'm very interested in reading about the dreaded plague...

As I always believed they hibernated but after hooking one last week in the snow I now reserve judgement at the validity of that assumption.

I wonder though how much of any article written on the subject of yanky crays is based on firm proven facts and how much is opinion. Educated or otherwise.

Crays are active enough in winter, particularly in slower flows. Any deadbait for pike on the Cherwell will be attacked and I have even known them to have a go at bread meant for chub in cold conditions at Somerton.

Back