• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Sign of things to come?

Regular thing on Yorkshire Rivers, such as Hull, Wharfe and Ouse.
Just like this one from a swim 5 miles from home!
6b62546cbfdada4d950f9d23b74485228261bba.JPG

That's a good common in the clip as well, would think its the cormorant scenario, no fish in the sea so up the rivers they come. When oh when will the penny drop

Best Regards
Dave

Dave, when there are only a handful of rivers worth fishing.....

Weird how the carp looks already dead on the Tewkesbury one with no apparent damage which would have killed it and it is floating! I wonder if it was dead already? Possibly killed by the extreme cold water.........a quick and easy meal for the seal although it looks like it is having real trouble trying to pull it under!!

I saw one on the Tidal Trent this year just as i was packing up. It was going from side to side and in my view obviously lost, where as the one viewed looked quite at home. I saw them very often on the west coast of scotland, whilst diving, every now and then they would give you a quick pull/bite on your fins, in a very playfull way. Not sure how long the Seal will be with you as the lack of salinity will probably affect it in some way or another.

Jon

The Barrage stops them from coming up the Tees too far. Mind you it also seems to be stopping the Salmon passing upstream, making an easy meal for the Seals hiding in wait...

Weird how the carp looks already dead on the Tewkesbury one with no apparent damage which would have killed it and it is floating! I wonder if it was dead already? Possibly killed by the extreme cold water.........a quick and easy meal for the seal although it looks like it is having real trouble trying to pull it under!!

Agreed, the whole thing looks a bit odd. It would appear that the seal doesn't know what to do with the carp which appears as dead as the proverbial. Two possibilities. Maybe the seal is an escapee from a zoo and more used to herrings or the seal is trying to help the carp upright itself and aid recovery. Mmm, hard one to call. Is that Johnny Morris with the commentary?

The carp escaped apparently, though my guess is the seal was playing with it much as a cat does with a mouse.

I would also suggest the seal has spent time recently in a rescue centre and has recently been released; probably from somewhere on the north Devon or South Wales coast and made its way up the river from there. That would account for its total lack of fear while it was been filmed at close range.

Seals in the lower reaches of salmon rivers, a common and long-time occurrence, with the seals sometimes following the salmon and sea-trout runs up from the tide, and occasionally, at this very time of year, ascending again to intercept the kelts (spawned, exhausted, sick and dying fish) that are now starting to make their way down to the sea. Fished beside a man on a Welsh salmon river in the early 1970s, on a piece of water a good fifteen miles from the sea, who got into a very good salmon, more twenty than ten, which suddenly went "dead weight" then just as suddenly bow-waved across the pool in the jaws of a seal.

Language.

Last edited:
That's a good common in the clip as well, would think its the cormorant scenario, no fish in the sea so up the rivers they come. When oh when will the penny drop

Best Regards
Dave

I'm sure, when I was a lad and looking miserable, my mother told me there's plenty more fish in the sea......:eek:

Back