• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

should I be worried?

Leon Dodd

After reading many of the river report threads on here, it paints a pretty grim picture all over the country, apart from the big rivers, (trent, severn? Any more?) The general opinion seems to be it's "the otters" but I'm afraid I do not believe that that is the sole reason, nor do I believe that they have had a massive impact on fish stocks, (if they are eating all the big ones, where are the small ones? I don't believe they are eating them all). I think, and please forgive my ignorance, as I can only really speak about the rivers on which I have experience, and even then only the last 6 years or so, but, the stretch on which I have seen the most dramatic decline in numbers of fish, is one where I have never seen any evidence of otters at all, and other stretches, where I regularly see otters seems to have even more small barbel than ever? Sorry for the long winded post, but unlike a lot of people seem on here, I think the problems we are facing go far beyond, otters, crayfish and habitat destruction and in most, (not all), rivers it is a combination of all three, (and others?), probably! But, the question now, is, what, if anything, can we do for our barbel? And for all fish, up and down the country???

P.S. this is not meant to be an anti otter, or I'm alright Jack, and I don't want to antagonise anyone, but rather than moaning about the situation, what can we do to rectify it?

Living in hope, Leon

Leon,

There are just so many factors involved in this problem
and of course every river is different.

I only have experience of a limited number of rivers but of those I fish the Kennet has demonstrated the greatest deterioration. In the 70s and 80s the river was crystal clear, brim full with abundant streamer weed. Shoals of barbel, chub and silver fish could be observed. Large roach could be taken.

The opening of the canal to boat traffic has caused turbidity and with that an increase in silt and the virtual disappearance of ranunculus. Water abstraction to nurture large towns like Swindon has lowered the river level. Industrialisation has in many places ruined the ambiance.

The natural recruitment of barbel seems inadequate. In the "golden days of yore" multiple catches were common place; admittedly the giant ladies were not present and a double figure fish was a rare event, but the sport was more varied. We had water voles and no signal crayfish, let alone mink or otters.

On the lower and middle Thames things seem to have gone in a similar direction, with either no flow or floods. Mitten crabs and crays. Less but bigger barbel.

On the upper Medway barbel stocks have increased and fish can be caught in all sizes, although the record will not return to this river.

There are other rivers where barbel are thriving but I am sworn to secrecy on their location.

Yes, a most interesting conundrum.

Regards,

Hugo

Last edited:
I think rivers all over the country are down on fish stocks , everything has changed climate has changed, spring was late this year and its been alot colder maybe weather has summit to do with it i just dont know the polish dont help taking fish all the time that needs to stop i dont think otters are to completly blame summit does need to be done though how many rivers do calverton fish farm stock with barbel, do they do all rivers or just certain rivers.

Cormorants!. These have virtually wiped out the fish stocks of certain species and decimated recruitment everywhere they've appeared. This leaves the other predators (including the otter) with less to go at, hence the bigger fish are being taken.

On a positive note, fellow members of the club I'm in have noticed a slight increase in the numbers of small roach and dace being caught. Perhaps the cormorants have been and gone on our river. Has anybody else noticed that this has been happening?

Very good point made Anthony, and I must say I subscribe to a lot of what you say. Of course if we hold up the Otter as the main culprit in all this we could well miss the real problem(s).
However whatever the cause of the decline in fish stocks there is no clear evidence as to where the problems really lie. But as you say small river decline is really apparent,so it is a real concern.
However I do believe the recent flood have more impact then we give credence too.

I'm feeling quite posertive about my local river. It seems to be looking healthy with plenty of weed growth. Hopefully last years floods cleaned a lot of silt away. There's also lots of fly hatches wich has to be good news.
I've seen otters regularly for the last 3 years yet there are still chub and barbel on the shallows on sunny days, these fish arnt hiding away in snags afraid of being eaten! I'm not saying they're not being taken, I have caught fish that had otter damage.
I don't often see cormerants but that doesn't mean they're not there, they feed very early in the morning, might see some after next week! There is however a large head of goosander but this only suggest that there's plenty for them to feed on. Perhaps the millions of minnows are feeding these.

Back