• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Short rods for Barbel

Adam Wylie

Senior Member & Supporter
I am probably opening a can of worms here ,but here goes,
10ft and 9ft rods for Barbel fishing on Big rivers 2.75 and 3 lb .
I watched a Spanish film (Spanish tv) this week which followed a Spanish Angler fishing for
Comizo Barbel .He was using 10ft x 3 lb rods, Braid ,and I believe size 6 hooks .
He was on a big wide Spanish river ,his bait was Boilies,and chick peas.
He caught a couple of “BIG ” fish ,don’t know the weight as he just measured the length of the fish
He never appeared to have any issues with landing the fish ,even with a good amount of near side vegetation .
it was obvious that strong tackle was required ,but what’s your thoughts on using rods or 10ft or even 9ft.

Attachments

• 2C3E9F84-A59C-4AA5-958F-14216F23BE0B.jpeg
    2C3E9F84-A59C-4AA5-958F-14216F23BE0B.jpeg
    174.6 KB · Views: 125
Last edited:
I am probably opening a can of worms here ,but here goes,
10ft and 9ft rods for Barbel fishing on Big rivers 2.75 and 3 lb .
I watched a Spanish film (Spanish tv) this week which followed a Spanish Angler fishing for
Comizo Barbel .He was using 10ft x 3 lb rods, Braid ,and I believe size 6 hooks .
He was on a big wide Spanish river ,his bait was Boilies,and chick peas.
He caught a couple of “BIG ” fish ,don’t know the weight as he just measured the length of the fish
He never appeared to have any issues with landing the fish ,even with a good amount of near side vegetation .
it was obvious that strong tackle was required ,but what’s your thoughts on using rods or 10ft or even 9ft.
Im up to the trent with wayne next weekend, we will be using his 10ft rods on the boat for convenience, their perfect for fishing open water,not sure about from the bank though?

Each to their own, theirs advantages and disadvantages in both. Personally, I love short rod, my primary rod this summer is 6ft 2lb, and a 6ft 1lb for chub. I fish Thames, some stretch is wide, but I have no problem casting a 2-3oz lead 50-60 meters away, and if I really push it, I can do 70-80 meters. Controlling a fish near bank is a bit of pain, but with the help of a long landing net, it is not that bad.

If it works , it works!
Who said they have to be 12 or 11’ ?
I know I swerve some swims because my standard 12’ rods are too ungainly which is stupid on my part

11ft is a perfect length for my barbel fishing but then again I’m from down south and we got small narrow rivers where I’m at.

Prob not the best if your a tip watcher as IME shorter rods are inherently stiffer throughout the blank and into the tip . . alarms and full wrap rounds however probably not a problem!

I bought a 9’ 2lb tc rod this year for tight swims on the Nidd near Harrogate. Some good chub and barbel in there which sometimes need searching for in tight swims.
I don’t think I’d use it on larger rivers I’d be more inclined to go 11’ and above

Back