• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Short fat and whiskery

Mick Brown

I had a 10lb 13oz Barbel from the tidal Trent on sunday night that certainly fell into this catagory. There seem to be two different shaped fish, some short and very stocky and others of what I'd term normal barbel shape.
I would be interested to hear other peoples views as to whether these are two different strains or just some very greedy individuals.
What do you think?

2 strains........ones a barbel....ones susan boyle........lol

When I saw the headline I thought you must have bumped into Duracell on the beach.

Mick. I have thought the same, and mentioned the same about the Wye Fish.

Some are like Thames/Severn/Kennet fish (all the same) and some are like Trent fish (longer/sleaker/fuller finned).

The EA used Kennet fish for stocking for a number of seasons but changed ( I guess here, about 1995) to Trent fish stripped for stocking purposes.

Maybe an answer there somewhere

Graham

There appear to be two distinct strains on the Swale. I've often heard it suggested that the long thin type (with particularly long tail fins) are original Swale fish and that the shorter stockier fish are Trent strain introduced or descended from EA stocked fish from their hatchery.

I have caught plenty of both types in the Loddon and would actually assume IMO that they are simply family lineages, much the same as exists in most species, either that or the short agressive ones are scottish!! :)

I have caught plenty of both types in the Loddon and would actually assume IMO that they are simply family lineages, much the same as exists in most species, either that or the short agressive ones are scottish!! :)

The underlined section seems the most plausible explanation, inherent traits an' all that.

Do the short aggressive ones have black or ginger hair and a paler complexion to the norm then?:D:D

Last edited:
Crooky. Generally speaking the slower water in the smaller streams have made the Loddon (and Ouse etc) fish fat and lazy, possibly after many years.

The fish from fast flowing waters generally are sleeker.............................BUT I reckon once they are introduced from one to other it take many years for the traits to breed out. I think the view about strains is right.

Not different types though. All Barbus Barbus.

just like some humans, some a sleek and fit looking, others a fat bloaters but still powerful.

Back