• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Shore fishing

Sam Lloyd

Just started shore fishing, just wanted any hints/tips for any species off the south coast. Also information on tide/weather would be helpful :)

Use a lure rod, fish off of rocks into weed using a pulley rig for wrasse, great sport on light tackle.
Bait wise try limpets or worms, even lobs work, so free bait... that'll help your student budget.;)

Hello Sam,
Generally it is 2 hrs before and 1 hr after high tide, however some venues will fish better on the ebb such as some of the Clacton beaches. At this time of year Bass will be the main species, with Sole showing on the sandy beaches. There maybe some late Smooth hounds about or some early Cod and whiting. Winter fishing it is Cod and whiting. Spring is not usually that good as it is in between, however there are Flounders starting to show, and some beaches like Southsea, and East Preston can produce some good Plaice. Summer you are in with a chance of Bass, Smooth Hounds, Mullet, Mackerel which can be taken on various methods from fly, float, lures, worm, and fish baits.
Bass can be caught along the South coast all year although winter fish are some what scarce.
A good time to fish would be 3 or 4 days after a good blow as the rough water stirs all the food up off the bottom. This is the time to pick up slipper limpets off the beach as they are good bait.
Lug and Rag are good baits, Peeler crab can be excelent especially for Smooth Hound, but are expensive.
Most of my biggest Bass have taken a large fillet of Mackerel.
Hope this is of some help. I would suggest that you read "Sea Angler" as it is full of tips and information.

All the best
Colin

Thanks guys :) I'll buy a copy of sea angler and have a butch !!
I caught loads yesterday at high tide but they were all really small, say 4-8oz. Any tips on picking off bigger fish ?

Sam
If you are talking Bass then usually big baits for big fish, and nights give you the best chance. Many people make the misstake of casting too far for Bass. Night fishing they will often be picked up no more than 10 to 20 yds out at high tide where they patrol along where the shingle meets the sand, and don't turn your back on your rod, because the take can be as savage as a Barbel.
One trick that has worked well is to catch some small Pout and keep them alive in a bucket, cast out a gripper lead about 30 yds put the rod in a rest. Tie a large hook (4 O) to a 60cm trace attached to a clip, lip or tail hook one of the Pout and clip the trace to your main line and alow it to slide down in to the water. The Pout will swim down the line t0 where the Bass feed. Takes from this method can be really explosive, and often pick up the real big ones.
All the best
Colin

Sam
If you are talking Bass then usually big baits for big fish, and nights give you the best chance. Many people make the misstake of casting too far for Bass. Night fishing they will often be picked up no more than 10 to 20 yds out at high tide where they patrol along where the shingle meets the sand, and don't turn your back on your rod, because the take can be as savage as a Barbel.
One trick that has worked well is to catch some small Pout and keep them alive in a bucket, cast out a gripper lead about 30 yds put the rod in a rest. Tie a large hook (4 O) to a 60cm trace attached to a clip, lip or tail hook one of the Pout and clip the trace to your main line and alow it to slide down in to the water. The Pout will swim down the line t0 where the Bass feed. Takes from this method can be really explosive, and often pick up the real big ones.
All the best
Colin

I'll give that ago because i'd been catching plenty of small pouting off a pier!!
I've only got a 2.5lb/12ft carp rod and 50 size reel... Is that going to be alright for shore fishing ? I know if can cast the distance but its been shaking a lot in the wind today... I would consider buying a beast caster if i could get away with using my 50 size reel, other wise it would probably mean buying a cheaper rod with a cheap sea reel and i'm not keen on that idea... I'd rather buy something i can use and will last for the next 4 years of hard studying ;)
Also its a stone beach in Southsea so i'm not sure where the sand is...I'm 100% new to sea fishing :eek: Other than a bass i caught on a float rig 2 years ago until yesterday i'd caught naff all !!
Bass are what i'd like to catch but anything decent would be welcome :D

Sam
I would say the reel will be ok loaded with 12 to 15lb line and an appropriate shock leader (10lb B/S for each oz of lead you are casting). Spend the money on a rod. Try and take a look at your chosen beach on a low spring tide as oposed to a neap tide this should give you an idea of what you will be fishing over. If you have transport Hayling Island, just along the coast, has some good shore marks.
Don't forget to wash the reel off with warm water after use or the salt will eat it.
All the best
Colin

Sam,

You will get a lot of tips and information from the following, which is one of the best sea fishing sites on the net. Sea Anglers tend to be a lot happier to give away catch details, so it is a good way of finding out what is being caught and where locally.

all the best

Paul

www.worldseafishing.com

Back