• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Shogun Ice Line

Ed Green

Having recently veiwed a spool of Shogun Ice line in a local tackle shop I was surprised at its low diameter and almost zero stretch.
Its a co polymer line and research shows the company have a range of colours etc. A japanese company, its used by big game anglers in Australia.
I witnessed a sea angler on the Algarve last year using it amonst the rocks and thought he was using about 4lb b.s. but it was probably 15-20lb. Bite indication was superb.
Is this the new alternative to braid as it seems to be very abrasive resistant.
Has anyone any experience of this line?

Having recently veiwed a spool of Shogun Ice line in a local tackle shop I was surprised at its low diameter and almost zero stretch.
Its a co polymer line and research shows the company have a range of colours etc. A japanese company, its used by big game anglers in Australia.
I witnessed a sea angler on the Algarve last year using it amonst the rocks and thought he was using about 4lb b.s. but it was probably 15-20lb. Bite indication was superb.
Is this the new alternative to braid as it seems to be very abrasive resistant.
Has anyone any experience of this line?

Well golly gosh, that post looks almost like the advertising blurb an interested party would use to sell something, doesn't it? Can't be though, not on here. No doubt you just naturally write that way, and just happen to know that the 'Bite indication was superb' .....yup, that's got to be it :rolleyes:

Cheers, Dave.

Choosing the right line isn't easy with that many on the market once you have found the line that works its hard to change as I believe changing what works is only going to loose confidence in the way we fish, maybe a daring person will give it ago :)

Thanks Dave/Rhys, i was tempted to buy some. The breaking strain to diameter looked to good to be true. cheers guys.

To save studying the list, what would you guys say was the best b.s to diameter line available ? i,ve nearly always used the brown sensor ( which has never let me down ), and is quite cheap compared to most. thank you. :)

Shimano Catana looks the best, I've been using it for a couple of years and its not let me down yet.

Shimano Catana looks the best, I've been using it for a couple of years and its not let me down yet.

I keep meaning to give that one a try Rhys, heard a lot of people recommend it. Is it fairly supple as well? I hate really stiff, wiry line which comes off in coils.

Cheers, Dave.

I have used this for a few years and performs well all round. Can cost a bit more than standard mono from normal retailers but is worth the extra few pounds

I keep meaning to give that one a try Rhys, heard a lot of people recommend it. Is it fairly supple as well? I hate really stiff, wiry line which comes off in coils.

Cheers, Dave.

Its ok, no worse than anything else I've tried. Using Shimano 5000's its always going to coil to some degree, what with the small spools.

Back