• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Shipp inn stretch

Just back from Bridgnorth stayed at unicorn Inn was chocker so fished the ship inn stretch met Burt. That was an experience in itself ha. River was fast flowing don't think I was holding bottom on 4 oz just 2 chub all weekend. Wish I knew what I was doing wrong ?

If Dante was still alive and painting he'd be down the Unicorn all August with his canvas & easel I reckon. It gets a bit 'lively' eh.
If you're having to use 4oz on the middle Severn when there's only an extra foot on (and flow is below 40m3/sec) then my best guess re. you "doing wrong" is that you're fishing the wrong swim. Maybe next time join the BAA (£40/year) and you'll have many miles of river to go at.

Thanks I will join baa. But I thought it was a recommended stretch. Not experienced so had a feeling lead was rolling until I stopped it myself. Was just a long trip to be doing something wrong.

Thanks I will join baa. But I thought it was a recommended stretch. Not experienced so had a feeling lead was rolling until I stopped it myself. Was just a long trip to be doing something wrong.
If you fish with a bow in the line and don't tighten to the lead or feeder you should hold bottom just fine.Cast upstream of course.

David, your post suggests you were using a straight lead rather than a feeder ? if yes were you using pva bags for freebies or just fishing a single bait like meat ? I fished the BAA just downstream from the Ship last week and it fished well. Personally I use a pellet feeder with small pellets and if I don't catch within 30 mins to an hour I'll move swims. If you join BAA for your next trip Id be happy to share more info and hopefully put you on some fish.

I am just back from there 2oz wasn't quite holding. 3oz was comfortably . I reckon 2.5 would've been perfect. As said cast upstream. 10.30 direction point your tip low to where you've cast. Give it 3/4 seconds to sink. Then pull your rod tip up, to let line out. Close your bail arm and put rod in rest. Mine was settling in front of me. 12 o'clock position.

Last edited:
Back