• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Shimano x aero 4000 baitrunner

Ben Jennings

My trusty old 5010 aero gt is beginning to feel it’s age at the moment. It’s had a couple of services at felindre but to be honest I don’t rate them and it’s never come back feeling much different. So think it’s time for a change. Now the x aero has been out 4 years plus any long term reviews on it? I did buy a 4000d when they first came out but had the bail arm break on it so that put me off new shimanos and go back to my 5010. However have a set of medium baitrunners on my carp rods and love those so figure I’d see if people rate the x aero 4000. Are they as bullet proof as my trusty 5010? Thanks

Had a pair of x aero 4000 not a patch on the 5010. Said goodbye to them and bought Daiwa emcast br4000a. Much better and a front drag which is superb. Also the bail arm is thicker than x aero which gave me more confidence on the bank.

Hi Ben,

I've been using 3 of them on my tench rods for the last four seasons and I really like them. The front drag is, as you would expect, far more sensitive than the rear drag on the 5000's (I have owned the 5000RE's, GTE's and GTE-B's) and on all 3 models I've found the drag to be a bit snatchy at times.

The line lay is superb, and they really suit my style of tench fishing e.g. feeder fishing up to 70 yards, often with short/light hooklengths. I'm not overly keen on double handles so I swapped them for the singles - that's about the only fault. The bail arm isn't much thicker than the 4000d, but I've not had any problems so far.

Are they are bullet proof as the older 5000/5010 shimano's? Too early to say really - ask me in another 5 years. I use 3500-b's for most of my barbel fishing and I'm more than happy with them, but if I was mainly fishing smaller rivers / lighter leads then I wouldn't hesitate to put the x-aero's on my barbel rods.

Cheers,

Joe

I have been using the X Aero 4000 FA's on my Barbel rods for 3 seasons now and can't fault them, smoothest clutch I've used for a very long time.

Bought them used them once felf gutless. One friend has had a fairly new set repaired still didn't feel right.

I've got x-aeros, but the 6000's. They're OK, but for some reason the line can end up either behind the spool housing, or under the spool itself sometimes, usually after casting, when a wind in your face catches the line. I did have a 6000OC, but sold it, and wished I hadn't, much better reel.

Bought a pair of 4000 x-aeros a couple of years back, not for barbel but commercial lake fishing for the mud pigs, like john I had problems with the line getting around the spool housing all the time, got rid and use the 4000dl's now.. no problems whatsoever.
I use 5000 korum neoteric reels and shimano 6000 xtrb reels for all my barbel fishing..

I pensioned off my 5010's a few years back and replaced them with the Aero X predecessor, the XT4000FA. They are still going strong after several years of (ab)use,the clutch is far better than the rear drag 5010 though the cranking power is probably not as good as my 3500B's, never had any problems with line getting caught up. I also have a Daiwa Emcast BR4000A which is very robust, almost on a par with the 3500B.

My 5010's and 6010's are still going strong, both great reels for what we do, don't think there is a better made reel without paying silly money, last of the old school quality build.

They almost seem a marmite reel, some love them some hate them. They feel nice when I had a play with them but I’m not sure whether to get one or not.

They almost seem a marmite reel, some love them some hate them. They feel nice when I had a play with them but I’m not sure whether to get one or not.
I've been using 2 4000 FA reels for a couple of seasons now,they replaced my old faithful 5000's.They suit me and I wouldn't go back,never had a problem with line lay or spool tangles and the front drag is exceptionally smooth,much better than the rear drag on the 5000's.I now have the confidence to play them off of the clutch rather than the handle.
Even though the bail arm is a thinner diameter than my old 5000 reels I haven't had a problem and they are still going strong after a couple of seasons of heavy use.
Go on-you know you want to.;):)

i use 4no of the Aero 4000FA Feeder reels (non baitrunner) - had them for a few years and nothing comes close for my roach/perch/tench and bream fishing using 0.08 sinking braid sometimes at over 100yds

i also have 4no of the older DLFA Baitrunners which rarely get used

i did consider 'upgrading' my baitrunners to the X Aero 4000FA but was advised not to by a trade source as there are certain 'technical' weaknesses

anyway, the Aero 4000FA can have the quick drag 'baitrunner' conversion fitted

'using 0.08 sinking braid sometimes at over 100yds'

Do you not get a lot of crack-off's Nick?

not sure if thats a joke?

if i had crack offs i would have stopped and changed my approach

not a single crack off - the braid in question is 8kg breaking strain and thats a true test

had more crack off's with 30lb Whiplash braid with a mini spomb at 50yds

ditched the whiplash and went back to my trusted Power Pro for spomb (though have ditched the Spomb for the Dot Spod which is superb) )

Last edited:
It was just a question Nick, but perhaps I should have asked 'how do you avoid crack-off's'? ;-)

I rate Power-Pro, using it almost exclusively for pike fishing where allowed, I did have some issues (twice) with the 30lb (0.28) power-pro cracking off when casting 45g lures, upping it to 40lb (0.32) and it hasn't happened since.

Sounds like ultra-strong braid - what make is it? Are you using a shock-leader?

Never had a crack off when spodding or spombing as Ive always used a shock leader, even with the mini-spombs.

Shimano 3500b if you can find a decent one these are bomb proof and will last for ever definitely not the prettiest reel but there made to last with a clutch that is second to none

Funnily enough I have been looking at these too. They look very nice to be honest I dont really need the baitrunner as I never really use it.

Ben - thoroughly recommend these reels

Ebay have some decent prices

plus if at some time you want a 'quick drag/freespool facility' conversions are available (pm for details)

Last edited:
It was just a question Nick, but perhaps I should have asked 'how do you avoid crack-off's'? ;-)

I rate Power-Pro, using it almost exclusively for pike fishing where allowed, I did have some issues (twice) with the 30lb (0.28) power-pro cracking off when casting 45g lures, upping it to 40lb (0.32) and it hasn't happened since.

Sounds like ultra-strong braid - what make is it? Are you using a shock-leader?

Never had a crack off when spodding or spombing as Ive always used a shock leader, even with the mini-spombs.

Apologies Joe - jumped in a bit harshly

i would never knowingly use any method that threatens fish welfare

again i may be straying into risky territory but unless you are using 8lb mainline and a 4oz lead to reach say 160yds plus a shock leader is not necessary in my opinion

its about matching tackle and casting style - when i carp fished i used either 30lb Powerpro or 30lb Fireline to fish easily at 150yds with bait - rods were either Daiwa Infinity X in 2.75 or 3.5tc - never used a shock leader and NEVER had a crack off

the braid i use is from a company in Germany for which i am a consultant - the braid is made in Japan (NOT China)

i'm not sure of the forum policy regarding people with trade connections?

send me a pm and i will let you know the braid as its not widely available in the UK

Back