• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Shimano Thunnus Ci 4

Bob Gill

Administrator
Staff member
Just treated myself to a pair of these. Very smooth and handle feels great, slightly lighter than my Baitrunner 4000d.

Just treated myself to a pair of these. Very smooth and handle feels great, slightly lighter than my Baitrunner 4000d.

View attachment 9151
That looks a nice tool bob.
I’ve a pair of 4000D’s.
Are there any other differences or improvements on those over the 4000D?
What’s the bail arm like? On the 4000D it’s quite thin and a known weaker point of the reel.

That looks a nice tool bob.
I’ve a pair of 4000D’s.
Are there any other differences or improvements on those over the 4000D?
What’s the bail arm like? On the 4000D it’s quite thin and a known weaker point of the reel.
Hi Richard,
The main differences in specification appear to be 7 bearings in the Thunnus and also higher rating than the 4000D, Ci 4 body material rather than carbon composite (resulting in small weight saving around 25g).
The handle is 'small egg' shape, which to be honest I had reservations about. I expected to be using the 4000D ones, (think I have 4x4000D's) but after a quick trial will be using the 'eggs'.
Bail is similar to the 4000D, but never had trouble with any of mine - but remember being initially concerned regarding their 'spindleness'.

Still have to investigate certain other possible interchageability aspects, which look encouraging
Will update accordingly.

Disappointed with the Shimano continuing lack of spare spool, spool price and on some other model reels (example Stradics) the lack of anti reverse lever. Think they may have shot themselves in the foot, but only time will tell if it effects their longer term reputation or sales.

Regards,
Bob

on some other model reels (example Stradics) the lack of anti reverse lever.

Don't fall into the single, incomplete, name trap. There are currently four different "Stradic" reels in the Shimano catalogue. Two are front drag (Stradic Ci4+ FB and Stradic FL) and two rear drag (Stradic GTM RC and Stradic Ci4+ RA). So far, not a single rear drag Shimano reel has lacked an anti-reverse switch. As far as I'm aware, not a single baitrunner has lacked an anti-reverse switch. As yet, only front drag spinning reels have done away with the switch, but not every model. They've even released new front drag reels recently that do have an anti-reverse switch.

Hi Richard,
The main differences in specification appear to be 7 bearings in the Thunnus and also higher rating than the 4000D, Ci 4 body material rather than carbon composite (resulting in small weight saving around 25g).
The handle is 'small egg' shape, which to be honest I had reservations about. I expected to be using the 4000D ones, (think I have 4x4000D's) but after a quick trial will be using the 'eggs'.
Bail is similar to the 4000D, but never had trouble with any of mine - but remember being initially concerned regarding their 'spindleness'.

Still have to investigate certain other possible interchageability aspects, which look encouraging
Will update accordingly.

Disappointed with the Shimano continuing lack of spare spool, spool price and on some other model reels (example Stradics) the lack of anti reverse lever. Think they may have shot themselves in the foot, but only time will tell if it effects their longer term reputation or sales.

Regards,
Bob
Nice. So basically it’s a 4000D GTI model. I looked at the handle and thought that it looked rather big but obviously couldn’t judge until I’d actually tried it. I’ve not had a problem with my bail arms either but I’d imagine an accidental drop could quickly see them out of shape. A little bit thicker would be nicer for piece of mind.
A lot of people say the spool prices on the 4000D are over priced but I actually don’t think they are when you look at them. It’s probably the same on your new reels, the spools are beautifully made high tolerance machined and hard anodised aluminium. The quality and precision fitting of the parts sat inside it and the general finish on it is far far nicer than these spools you see stamped out of plastic with nothing more than a push button on top. I think the 4000d spool is a great price for what you actually get.
A packet a plastic bait stops for £4 that cost pence to make. Now that’s a money spinner.

Don't fall into the single, incomplete, name trap. There are currently four different "Stradic" reels in the Shimano catalogue. Two are front drag (Stradic Ci4+ FB and Stradic FL) and two rear drag (Stradic GTM RC and Stradic Ci4+ RA). So far, not a single rear drag Shimano reel has lacked an anti-reverse switch. As far as I'm aware, not a single baitrunner has lacked an anti-reverse switch. As yet, only front drag spinning reels have done away with the switch, but not every model. They've even released new front drag reels recently that do have an anti-reverse switch.
I stand corrected regarding the general use of Stradic and lack of anti reverse. What I can confirm is that both my Stradic Ci 4+ 3000 FB HG models are without anti reverse levers. They are delightfully light in weight at 190g.
Cheers
Bob

Had a pair of these for 18 months or so, great reels, and if you get the EU model, as Ben said, you get a normal handle, whatever normal is...

Back