• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

shimano technium line

Yes Lewis, thats what i was led to believe, so thats not the case then ? I've not used either so couldn't say one way or the other.

I knew Carp anglers who used the original Technium and one of its downsides was it went all curly and horrible after it was put under any pressure, i take it thats not the case now ? i like the idea of lines like this, Berkley Iron Silk is another, i used that for a while and never had any problems with it it but others (more than a few !) did, thats been re vamped as well.

It is odd Simon, how different anglers have totally different opinions of the lines available...so different that it's almost as though they were using a different product. For instance, I and a few of my friends found the original Daiwa Sensor to be horrendous stuff, went brittle as cotton after after any sort of stress...but it is now hugely popular (Perhaps it's better now?). Same with 'X Line'....dreadful stuff that carp fishers are forced to use at an absolute minimum of 17lb, preferably 20lb + B/S...because it snaps if you stare hard at it below that....but apparently it's good because it sinks well :eek: No other line I know of has to be used at that B/S, but one look at the Tackle Box line comparison charts will tell you exactly why that is required!

Funny world :D

Cheers, Dave.

Berkley ironsilk was the first line i ever bought for carp fishing when i was young i never had any trouble at all with it, and i never knew at that time what trouble some lines could be. The technium has never gone curly. The one line i had that went curly was ultima power carp in 12lb i used it a couple of times and didnt like it, i used the same line in 14lb and it was nearly perfect . The 12 lb maybe would of got better with use but i didnt give it the time, technium behaved brilliantly from the off i remember my first cast with it the line flew off and sunk effortlessly. I Better shut up now i sound like a shimano rep :p

I'm going to give the invisitec a try I like that it comes in 3000 spools so can give it a try without buying a bulk spool. As for iron silk that was a shocking line (well the two spools I tried were) could not get any knot to hold or not snap under any pressure.

When I get a line I invariably test it for diameter, breaking strain, best knot and a rudimentary crude test for abrasion resistance. Some people will argue that this testing may be largely meaningless in a real fishing situation, which has its point. For me however, it gives some insight to how the line might perform in comparison with others of my experience.
I remember Iron Silk which I used without trouble for months and then it started to break. I avoided it in the future. I remember another line (Maxima) that had a bad patch - almost seeming to self destruct and fall apart.
Had no trouble so far with Technium, although some spools of Tribal were close to the stated BS when knotted, rather than exhibit the usual several pounds over. When the spools were checked for diameter, they were found to be under the stated nominal diameter - so things seemed to make more sense.
So far Technium Invisitec has been good for me.

Same as you Bob i never use a new spool of line without testing it, very eye opening it is sometimes ! Iron Silk tied with a Palomer knot i just never had a problem with, the issue with it seemed to be UV light which degraded it after a while although i never had this happen, the new stuff is supposedly better in that respect. The worst lines i've tested and would never use are Big game, Sensor and that Gamma stuff, oddly they are lines that others swear by, funny old business !!

Different colour lines have different attributes , from what ive learnt green big game is better than clear and clear sensor is better than the brown

Ditto dark green GT80 apparently, don't know personally because i only ever bought the dark one, my favourite general purpose line ever, now no longer available.

Back