• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Shimano Stradic 3000 GTMH Fighting drag reel

Clive Shipman

Senior Member & Supporter
Shimano Stradic 3000 GTMH Fighting drag reel in very good condition fully working.
£65 posted

Attachments

• 20201112_085712.jpg
    20201112_085712.jpg
    200.2 KB · Views: 1,142
  • 20201112_085648.jpg
    20201112_085648.jpg
    185.1 KB · Views: 627
  • 20201112_085631.jpg
    20201112_085631.jpg
    173.7 KB · Views: 513
  • 20201112_085617.jpg
    20201112_085617.jpg
    158.7 KB · Views: 636
  • 20201112_085559.jpg
    20201112_085559.jpg
    156.9 KB · Views: 430
Sold

Bit of a rareity that. If I’d of been on here a bit earlier I would have snapped it up at that price.

I already have two Stradic X GTM reels and would sooner sell one of my balls before I’d sell either of them. A few years ago I bought a boxed with papers, minter of Stradic X GTMH (the H standing for high retrieve rate). IIRC the former mentioned reels have a retrieve of 6.2-1, the later 7-1.

I‘m pretty sure I remember reading somewhere that the GTMH were not sold in the UK, so perhaps US or Japanese imports, but I may be mistaken. Either way, those Jap-made 90s Shims beat the pants off some the schlock turned out today.

Enjoy that reel when you get it Richard. They’re fabulous.

Last edited:
Bit of a rareity that. If I’d of been on here a bit earlier I would have snapped it up at that price.

I already have two Stradic X GTM reels and would sell one of my balls before I’d sell one of them. A few years ago I bought a boxed with papers, minter of Stradic X GTMH (the H standing for high retrieve rate). IIRC the former mentioned reels have a retrieve of 6.2-1, the later 7-1.

I‘m pretty sure I remember reading somewhere that the GTMH were not sold in the UK, so perhaps US or Japanese imports, but I may be mistaken. Either way, those Jap-made 90s Shims beat the pants off some the schlock turned out today.

Enjoy that reel when you get it Richard. They’re fabulous.
Yeah the H stands for hi speed 7:1.
ive never had a stradic before but I’ve got a lot of 90’s shimmy’s with my personal favourite being the very rare “super” aero match.
The 4010 gtm a close second. Your absolutely right though the second they stopped coming out of Japan was the second they took a step back in every way. I’m looking forward to getting it pulled apart for a major service before it gets paired up probably with my Acolyte plus.

I’m looking forward to getting it pulled apart for a major service before it gets paired up probably with my Acolyte plus.

Are you doing that yourself Richard? Brave man if you are. 👍

I have the full schematics somewhere and I remember looking at it and thinking that these reels would easily out-complicate a moon-phase chronograph. I dread to think what words beginning with F and C are going to be spat out at high velocity, should one of those miniature springs fire out across the workshop floor. 😮

But then maybe you just happen to be a precision engineer.

Last edited:
I'd forgotten about that thread. I tip my hat to you mate. Very impressive.

Not sure if you can answer this but I have a question Richard: one of my Stradic X GTM3000 has a slight stickiness to the clutch. Pull line from the spool and it seems to switch ever so slightly in the required effort to take the line and this has a regularity to it that would suggest it's of a circular nature, ie the spool slips on a certain part of a washer, or such like, each time it reaches it on it's rotation...... if that makes sense. Given that the poor thing must be getting on for 25 years old and having never been serviced it's hardly surprising that there should be something that needs attention. I was considering sending it up to Felindre but if it's likely to be something simple then I might brave it out and have a look myself. Any ideas onm what it's likely to be?

Last edited:
I'd forgotten about that thread. I tip my hat to you mate. Very impressive.

Not sure if you can answer this but I have a question Richard: one of my Stradic X GTM3000 has a slight stickiness to the clutch. Pull line from the spool and it seems to switch ever so slightly in the required effort to take the line and this has a regularity to it that would suggest it's of a circular nature, ie the spool slips on a certain part of a washer, or such like, each time it reaches it on it's rotation...... if that makes sense. Given that the poor thing must be getting on for 25 years old and having never been serviced it's hardly surprising that there should be something that needs attention. I was considering sending it up to Felindre but if it's likely to be something simple then I might brave it out and have a look myself. Any ideas onm what it's likely to be?
It could be a bent shaft causing a tight spot on one of many things it runs through.
a slightly corroded head bearing race perhaps.
It’s Unlikely to be clutch washer related due to the fact it’s happening in the exact same place every rotation. If it was a sticking clutch I’d expect it to stick randomly.
Needs the covers off for a good look.

GTMH Richard,
That’s got to be the nicest Gtm I’ve had my hands on....

Gtmh, Richard, Gtmh.

Not just a plain old GTM that any old Tom, Dick Or Harry can get their hands on remember. ;)

I have to say that it looks somewhat simpler in the photo than in the Schematics I have. From that photo then I might even be tempted to have a go at that sticky clutch myself.

D73474D2-F6BF-4E40-A035-62ECD39D5F71.jpeg

GTMH Richard,

Gtmh, Richard, Gtmh.

Not just a plain old GTM that any old Tom, Dick Or Harry can get their hands on remember. ;)

I have to say that it looks somewhat simpler in the photo than in the Schematics I have. From that photo then I might even be tempted to have a go at that sticky clutch myself.

View attachment 12963
The only difference between a H and a none H is the number of teeth on the main gear 😉
There is no need to remove every single part to carry out a full service.
If I can comfortably clean and lubricate all the necessary items by leaving some stuff still bolted down I will. Cracking reel.
don’t be fooled........ it’s not that straight forward to get these to come apart. If your gonna play with clutches then be careful with sequences.
if you want to send it to me............ do it before you break it preferably 🤣

If anyone has some of those terrible modern Shimanos (The new Ci4+ Stradic RA or ARC Aero Ci4+ for preference) lying about, I've got a pair of very tidy Japanese Stradic GTMs (3000 and 4000) that I'd happily exchange.

If anyone has some of those terrible modern Shimanos (The new Ci4+ Stradic RA or ARC Aero Ci4+ for preference) lying about, I've got a pair of very tidy Japanese Stradic GTMs (3000 and 4000) that I'd happily exchange.
Chris the generation 1 stradics Will bring you by far the best return on eBay auction.
expect anything between 85-110 for good examples with the original spools.
I didn’t think much of the RA personally but everyone to their own.
you would probably be able to buy a brand new RA and have some change from selling just one of the jap stradics.

Chris the generation 1 stradics Will bring you by far the best return on eBay auction.
expect anything between 85-110 for good examples with the original spools.
I didn’t think much of the RA personally but everyone to their own.
you would probably be able to buy a brand new RA and have some change from selling just one of the jap stradics.

If anyone coughed that much for a Stradic GTM I'd consider myself to be Dick Turpin. However, on checking, it does appear that they've climbed in value again on eBay. It wasn't that long ago that you'd be lucky to get £50.

However, I suspect that you must be thinking of a different new reel. I've not seen a new Stradic Ci4+ RA for much less than £180 for at least six months. Even second hand they are going for £125.

If anyone coughed that much for a Stradic GTM I'd consider myself to be Dick Turpin. However, on checking, it does appear that they've climbed in value again on eBay. It wasn't that long ago that you'd be lucky to get £50.

However, I suspect that you must be thinking of a different new reel. I've not seen a new Stradic Ci4+ RA for much less than £180 for at least six months. Even second hand they are going for £125.
Ah yes different reel. Sorry Chris I thought you meant stradic gtm RA.
Edit RC not RA. My mistake

Back