• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Shimano Reel Repair

Hi Adam,
I have had the same problem, used to carry my rod and reel in a quiver with no protection (Harrison and Shimano) and have also bent the bail arm on a 6000, i now carry my rods in a single rod holdall which fits into the quiver.

Thanks for all the responses chaps. The bail arm is very very easily warped which is causing the issue. A little bit of bending did the trick. Lets see how long it lasts.

I have Ds and also the Twinpowers that I reviewed here. Both reels share the same type of bail arm. I noted the relatively flimsy bail arm in the update to the review.

Definitely worth bearing in mind if you are rough on your gear. Once I became aware of it, I've been more careful and haven't had an issue since. However, it does strike me as being a bit strange that Shimano are going down this avenue when most other manufacturers seem to be making their bail arms thicker and seemingly more robust. The cheaper small Shimano reels actually have a more substantial bail than the top of the range stuff. The difference is that they aren't seamless.

A word of warning to those that are rough on their kit though. The Daiwa Airbails, that seem so much more substantial, are actually hollow and I've heard of them suffering breakages when handled roughly. From what I've seen, they don't tend to bend before letting go. Be wary of other makes because those thick bail arms might be of similar hollow construction.

Last edited:
Back