• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Shimano Reel Repair

Peter Jones

Bail arm on my 4000d is not closing fully (about 3/4's of the way, but allows line to peel off) when winding from open. I can close it manually, its just I find myself forgetting!

Anyone got any ideas how to fix without me sending off for repair?

Beings its one of Shimano's newer models I'd phone Felindre Shimano. Not sure I'd want to mess around with a £100 quid reel when I'm pretty sure they would fix it for nowt.

And they would probably have it back in couple if days as their service is pretty good.

Depends how handy you are, if in doubt send it to Felidre.
If you want to have a go, my guess without seeing it would be that the bail arm is bent or distorted and a bit of fettling without taking it all apart might just do the trick.

Agree with Phil, get this quite regularly as i'm a clumsy so and so, a quick squeeze either side usually fixes it, no need to take anything apart.

A word or warning. I have a pair of the 4000 XTFAs which have a similarly flimsy bail arm to the 4000d. I carry my rods on a quiver with the reels on - normal (fairly) rough usage - and the bail arms quickly bent so that the line no longer rests on the roller.

As these were under warranty i contacted Felindre to get the bail arms replaced but they refused saying it was my treatment of the reels that had caused the problem. They added that as they had next to no complaints from anyone with the same problem, they didn't see it as a design flaw.

The result? I am using 2 reels with damaged bail arms which are in too poor condition to sell. Frustrating, to say the least.

I should add that i have absolutely no axe to grind against Felindre or Shimano - in fact i have about a dozen shimano reels.

Flimsy Bail Arm

Same problem for me, mine's bent like an old coat hanger.

Have to bend it back so it closes on retrieve all the time.

No more abuse than being stuck in back of car when made up.

Just got Mitchell Magpro for chubbing, no comparison in quality of bale arm

Silly on such an otherwise decent reel

Flimsy Bail Arm

Hope this pic works, apologies if not.

Sums up difference in build quality though

Attachments

• Bail arm.JPG
    Bail arm.JPG
    47.6 KB · Views: 227
Flimsy bail again

I thought it was just me, I've googled 400d bail arm problems a number of times.

Anyway whilst the camera is out, a side view

Attachments

• bail again.jpg
    bail again.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 218
A word or warning. I have a pair of the 4000 XTFAs which have a similarly flimsy bail arm to the 4000d. I carry my rods on a quiver with the reels on - normal (fairly) rough usage - and the bail arms quickly bent so that the line no longer rests on the roller.

As these were under warranty i contacted Felindre to get the bail arms replaced but they refused saying it was my treatment of the reels that had caused the problem. They added that as they had next to no complaints from anyone with the same problem, they didn't see it as a design flaw.

The result? I am using 2 reels with damaged bail arms which are in too poor condition to sell. Frustrating, to say the least.

I should add that i have absolutely no axe to grind against Felindre or Shimano - in fact i have about a dozen shimano reels.

That is interesting I have the 4000 in the not so nice ST-RA snd god they are robust,but a lot more uglier.

I also have for comparison 5010, 6010, 5000 gte-c, xtea, re etc along with a match III, Daiwa capricorn and a partirge in a pear tree and not any £5000 pins to comapre it with..

Back