• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Shimano reel question ?

David Craine

Senior Member & Supporter
Hi all, just had a bit of a windfall, a friend has just given me a box of reels, some are a bit naff, but included is a very dusty but otherwise pristine Shimano Aero 5-8.5 SR.

I have never really been a fan of rear drag reels, so have only one , a Daiwa to my name which I use for Mullet fishing..

Judging by ist size it is suitable for big river Barbel, any views on it, plus any problems I should look for ?

Dave

Sounds like a shimano 6010 or 8010

S-8.5 SR is the spool for the 6010/8010 aero baitrunners. The SR denotes a steel rimmed spool.

Good reels I use them for carp,eel and pike fishing. Well suited to a heavy rod for flood water fishing.

Thanks Darren, just noticed that it has 810 ,Aero GT , 4 ball bearings written on the body.
It has one steel rimmed spool, the other plastic I think. Seems a solid reel....
I took the initial numbers etc from the spools

Dave

Back