• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Shimano reel choice

Lee White

So I have a set off 2 x 6000 gteb and a 2 x 8000 xtea
Looking to move a set on what should I keep these are for light carp reels

It's not about the money it is about the reel size and reliability going to use them on a set of dwarf rods

I don’t think there’s a lot in the sizes is there. The usual difference between 6000 and 8000 is spool depth.
Xtea reels are by far the best rear clutch reels shimano made

Yes think it is the spool size the xtea is 50 grm heaveier than the gteb I actually forgot I had the xtea found them in a bag today getting some gear ready for a few quick evening trips

I am keeping the xtea Richards reply decided I was leaning that way but with Richards comments and yours gerry my mind is 100% made up

2 x 6000 gteb going for sale lol any one know what there worth

If your only going to use the reels occasionally then personal I'd sell the XTEAs given the money they fetch on Ebay. Yes the XTEA's are better than the GTEb's but the latter are still very good reels imo. Personally I've never found the snatchy rear drag issue to be a problem when playing bigger fish (carp and pike) on heavier lines.

Thanks for the reply Joe it's not about the money aspect for the reels I just want to keep which set is the better reels the xtea where bought to replace the gteb then I noticed they were a bigger spool so never changed them over

I am a self confessed tackle holder don't drink don't smoke come to think of it don't realy fish lol just buy tackle

I was going to keep both but thought sell a set and buy some more tackle lol

Thanks for the reply Joe it's not about the money aspect for the reels I just want to keep which set is the better reels the xtea where bought to replace the gteb then I noticed they were a bigger spool so never changed them over

I am a self confessed tackle holder don't drink don't smoke come to think of it don't realy fish lol just buy tackle

I was going to keep both but thought sell a set and buy some more tackle lol
Just out of interest I did some research on the XTEA range and apparently the gears in them are some of the best ever made
after the XTEA range they changed the material used and then new ones are not as good

also the XTEA range are fitted with 7 bearings !! that adds to the longevity and smooth performance
the very good clutch can be further improved if your a perfectionist by fitting the Felindre Innovation Dragon Washers they are a revolution for Shimano Rear Drag reels.

AND
Front Drag Reels are not left out Felindre Quick Drag washers are available These washers will improve your drags performance Tenfold. !!

Last edited:
I am keeping the xtea Richards reply decided I was leaning that way but with Richards comments and yours gerry my mind is 100% made up

2 x 6000 gteb going for sale lol any one know what there worth
hi Lee,
I have been watching Shimano gte prices on ebay. Over the last three months the 6000's have been averaging about £50 each. If you have spare spools sell them separately as they make little difference if sold with reels.

Thanks gerry that's reasuringto know all I want is strong reliable tackle for a reasonable price in will look into them dragon washers I think I will also get them a service to ensure there fine for a few more years

Reliability is hard to come buy now in a through away society I'm not a fixer realy but thinks don't seem to be as robust as yester year

My main carp reels are diawa tournaments 5000t I find these to be bomb proof had the Weston worm fitted and the carbon washers so they run a bit smother

Thanks Mike for that I do have spare spool I think I normally have them for every reel I have
Like I said I'm a horder lol
Most probably sell them and buy myself a new river tripod being using one of my beach casting tripods which is fine but because it's set up for multi use the fixed spool reels sit a bit closer to the centre bar

Lee, there are loads of 6000gte's on ebay at present. They should give you an indication of current going rates. It's quite noticeable that 5000 fetch more. Same is true of xtea 's.

Thanks Mike I did notice awhile back when I bought my 5000 there was a big difference in price between them

I did manage to get a decent pair of gte c a couple of years ago for the princely sum of 80 quid thought that was fair but looks like there going for silly money the 5000

Back