• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Shimano powerloop 12ft 2lb test curve specimen ro

Steve Brand

HI anyone own or know anything about these old rods I have one In very good condition would it serve a purpose for barbel on the trent?

I have the hyperloops in 1.75/2.00 tops the later which I'm told were specially made to reduce the rod to 11ft version.
Good strong rods, still an old favorite of mine even though I own much more expensive n named rods. The 1.75 is my first choice for floater fishing for carp.
Hope this helps.

I have a pair of Hyperloop 1.75 tc rods, to me they are far too through action,couldnt stop a decent fish if it jumped out and gave up.I used them on the Ribble for a while, and just couldnt get used to the soft through action,I now use them with the quivertip for feeder work for Breaming, and Mullett from the harbours. OK if you use Braid, but pants with mono.....but if they suit your style of fishing, fine.
Now the 2lb tc Powerloop jobbie is a different rod altogether, I had one, was very happy with it,used it for a couple of years , and sold it on and wished I had kept it. A mate has it now, and he has had some stonking fish on it from the Ribble and the Trent.
Yes, IMO fine for the Trent to answer your question.

Dave.

Thank you for your input guys I also have a pair of hyperloops 2.25tc [yes I know like many I have far to much gear} bought these secondhand from local tackle shop cheap as chips.
Any way I did use the hypers a few times on a stillwater that held some decent tench and I recall that they did put a fair bend In them ok they were probably only fish of five to six pounds but go a bit.
I have been using some of my old match fishing gear up to now on the trent and apart from feeling a little under gunned for casting they have coped ok with the few barbel I have caught so far.
Having said that the river has been low so might give the shimanos a run out If we get some autumn rain.
I was looking at maybe getting a pair of barbel specific rods as fishing the trent has been great for me after spending time on still waters, was looking at the daiwa infinitys but they do seem a bit pricey for an off the peg rod compared with the Ipowers.

Steve, i had the 2lb powerloop around 2004 and i bought it second hand then. only used it on small stillwaters for a bit of carping, it had a lovely through action not being a poker at all, remember having a mirror of 18lbs on it and it coped admirably with it, wouldn't be sure about it's casting ability on the trent but it was a nice rod to use...

I switched from Shimano and bought. Wychwood Rogue 2 and 2.25 tc for flood wateronthe Trent, normall conditions Fox Warrior 1.75 great piece of kit.
Cost of each £40.

Back