• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Shimano OC spool

The DL spools will also fit, but you'll need the drag knob form the DLs which are a different size than on the Ds, OCs and XTFA's.

The DL spools will also fit, but you'll need the drag knob form the DLs which are a different size than on the Ds, OCs and XTFA's.
Hi Joe
I've got OC's and DL's, I am sure they don't fit?
After using Shimano 5000 GTE A's, B's & C for the last twenty years I got a pair of OC this year and the jury out on them, don't like the line clip, don't like the line keeps getting behind the spool, (nightmare in the dark) not sure about the single handle? Got a pair of 4000 DL on my Avon rods, which l think I prefer to the OC's. Will Try the DL Spool on the OC's, let you all know.
Might go back to the GTE C 5000!
Regards Wayne

Hi Joe
I've got OC's and DL's, I am sure they don't fit?
After using Shimano 5000 GTE A's, B's & C for the last twenty years I got a pair of OC this year and the jury out on them, don't like the line clip, don't like the line keeps getting behind the spool, (nightmare in the dark) not sure about the single handle? Got a pair of 4000 DL on my Avon rods, which l think I prefer to the OC's. Will Try the DL Spool on the OC's, let you all know.
Might go back to the GTE C 5000!
Regards Wayne
Also I think the clutch is too good! Even with the clutch done up tight I'm getting very powerful long runs! Not like the jerky 5000 GTE!

I've actually got an XTFA spare spool and it doesn't feel quite right. So close but the drag doesn't work properly. I haven't got an XTFA cap so not sure if that would make a difference.
I've got XTFA spools on mine and they work perfectly. Using 4000 d caps.

I got the idea from the late Jan Porter who was a consultant for Shimano.

I gave it another go. It does seem to work, the spool doesn't click on rotation though, it just moves completely smoothly and feels slightly odd. Is that what yours does? The OC spool clicks which I think is what made me discount it originally.

Hi Richard, is it easy enough to do? If you've done it successfully I'd welcome a point in the direction of the clips you chose. Thank you
Should be easy enough. It’s usually a pressed clip holds em in place that you need to get underneath but you’ll know better than me as you have the spool.
Then find an aftermarket one to fit.

I would check the recess that's milled for the clip before you go headlong down this road. I can't compare an XTFA 4000 spool because I don't own one. However, the clip recess on the XTFA 2500 is 10mm wide (at its widest point) compared to the 4000D which is 8mm. The XTFA recess is flared, the 4000D parallel. I doubt that the button clip of the smaller XTFA 2500 would fit properly in the recess on the 4000D spool.

I'd also suggest that you check out the hole that the clip goes through. It's an oblong slot for the plastic clip and a round hole for the metal button clip. It's not as simple as replacing one clip type for the other.

I'd also suggest that you check out the hole that the clip goes through. It's an oblong slot for the plastic clip and a round hole for the metal button clip. It's not as simple as replacing one clip type for the other.
Depends on what your able to do.
The standard OC line clip is a flat plastic tab that presses onto a shaft and secured with a clip.

If you want to keep it that way you’ll have to search the internet and find something like this for your exact reel obviously
IMG_2084.jpeg
IMG_2085.jpeg

Now for me personally I’d have no problem turning that into a round hole and fitting a decent aftermarket version.
Providing you do your checks that the clip face sits in the recess and the clip body going into the spool doesn’t fowl on anything then this really should be a simple job. Just look into the clip properly, and definitely buy the clip first before attempting any removal or modification to ensure it’s gonna go

I siad absolutely nothing about aftermarket stuff. All my comment concerned was replacing a plastic clip with the metal one from the XTFA, which is not a straight swap.

I siad absolutely nothing about aftermarket stuff. All my comment concerned was replacing a plastic clip with the metal one from the XTFA, which is not a straight swap.
Oh my apologies
I thought the talk regarding the xtfa was regarding swapping spools not clips.
I wouldn’t have a clue if the xtfa clips fitted but there must be a decent metal aftermarket clip that could be easily fitted

Trying this on the OC has does something to the OC spool cap/ seal.

I've put the OC spool back on and after having tried the XT FA it's now not working properly. When trying to adjust the clutch the spool is sometimes slipping, same goes for the clutch in use.

If anyone else is thinking of trying it I'd recommend not. I either need to send mine for a service now or try a new cap. I've messed around with it for half an hour and cant get it back to normal.

Back