• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Shimano gt3500 xt7 too small?

Wayne Glossop

Hi, Iv got a 3500 gt xt7 I have been told by a few people it's too small but Iv also been told it will be sound for the tidal Trent can anyone advise me on this.
Thanks

Not an answer to your question but a question of my own, I hope you don't mind!

How big are these compared to the 5000 sized shimmy's? I have a pair of the latter on my 1.25lb Avon Chimeras but they're slightly too big. I've been looking for a good pair of small baitrunners for a while now.

Not an answer to your question but a question of my own, I hope you don't mind!

How big are these compared to the 5000 sized shimmy's? I have a pair of the latter on my 1.25lb Avon Chimeras but they're slightly too big. I've been looking for a good pair of small baitrunners for a while now.

Bob,
2500 or 4000 sized baitrunners. Ds, XTFAs, DLFAs or STFAs depending on budget and preference.

I've looked at them Chris, just keeping my options open at the moment. I do like the aero's though!

I'm assuming, because they're aero's, that they're smaller than the 5000's but the other 3500's are as big, if not bigger!

Hi, Iv got a 3500 gt xt7 I have been told by a few people it's too small but Iv also been told it will be sound for the tidal Trent can anyone advise me on this.
Thanks

Depends on what you intend to do with it and where. Just to clear up any confusion, is this the 3500 Baitrunner that you are talking about or another reel?

If it's this baitrunner then, even at 3500 size, they are much bigger than other Shimano reels of 4000 or even 5000 size. Still not big enough for some folks on the tidal Trent but should be fine and dandy on many rivers. If it's this baitrunner then it'll be bob on for smaller rivers but far too small for the likes of the Trent, IMO. If the reel is simply one of the older Shimano match reels of an inbetween 3000 and 4000 size, then I suspect that it will be a little small for ledgering. Should be spot on for float fishing and ledgering on the lighter side.

Last edited:
It's the baitrunner quite an old one but feels brand new the size difference to the 5010 gt is hardly anything but as I'm new to the barbel fishing Iv been thinking about getting an 8000 Re special edition but I was hoping the old shimmy 3500 would have been great for the job. But I'm abit unsure what to get with a budget of no more than £80.

It's the baitrunner quite an old one but feels brand new the size difference to the 5010 gt is hardly anything but as I'm new to the barbel fishing Iv been thinking about getting an 8000 Re special edition but I was hoping the old shimmy 3500 would have been great for the job. But I'm abit unsure what to get with a budget of no more than £80.

Wayne,
you'll probably find that your GT 3500 is only smaller than a 5000/5010 in the spool and rotor size. There's a good chance that the bodies will be the same. (same for the modern 2500 and 4000 reels). I'd not use your reel on the Trent but I'd be happy to on smaller rivers where you'd not have to be concerned by a small spool restricting your cast. However, if you've no intention of trying to fish at distance, the GT 3500 will do.

I would thoroughly recommend the Shimano Baitrunner DL 4000FA. I bought a pair for my son and I to use this season and we used them on our trip on the Wye at the weekend.

Having only used rear drag reels before I couldn't believe how fantastic they were when you were playing a fish. The drag was silky smooth, whereas rear drag reels I've used would often stick a bit, give line and stick a bit etc. These reels could be set tight to stop barbel getting into rocks, snags etc., but when required they gave line nice and even. I managed to get mine brand new for £42.99 each from Erics Angling, though I don't think they have them anymore. If you shop around you should still get them for less than £50. An absolute bargain IMHO.

3500, 5010 and 5000 are near enough the same size, i would go for the next size up, 4500, 6010 or 6000. 8010 and 8000 are the same size body as the 6000 but with deeper spools and 10000 have the same size body but larger diameter spool. 6000GTE-B are my choice for waters of that size;)

I think the cost effective reel I'm going for is the 8000 RE Limited edition for the winter with diawa sensor mono and going to use the 3500 gt for summer

Back