• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Shimano DL 4000, 4000D or Daiwa Regal Z

Matthew Goulding

Folks

I need some reels for barbelling this season primarily on the Teme and Avon. Having had a look round I'm thinking Shimano or Daiwa, cos I like them, either a DL 4000 FA, Daiwa Regal Z 3000, or if I'm feeling flash Shimano Baitrunner 4000D. I don't want to go any bigger as I won't be casting far (max 30yds 90% of the time) and I don't like heavy reels so some old Shim B3500s are out. The Shimano DL seems to be well rated by others on tinternet, I can't find much on the Daiwa and the 4000Ds seem a bit mixed and given that they're twice as much are they worth it?

Looking at them and handling without fishing I'd say the Daiwa is the best bet. However in the past I've bought reels other than Shimanos and generally regretted it, so experience tells me not to.

So does anyone have any experience of actually fishing with these, preferably for a while? If so I'd welcome your views

Cheers

Matt :)

Hi Matt,
I own three DL4000's, but can't comment on the 4000D or the Regal as i've never used them.
Two of the DL's get used and abused four times or so a week throughout the season.(i bought them the beginning of last season)
I fish small rivers mainly so they are the perfect size IMO. The front drag does not stick and is very smooth. Line lay is good. I do get some line twist, but this could be down to the use of the baitrunner, which is to expected. Best of all they are affordable.
Rgds
Paul

Get the 4000d if your budget goes that far. I love mine and will be getting another aswell as a couple of 6000d's n'all.

I have used it for Barbelling on the Great Ouse and it suits the river and my style of fishing perfectly.

Lovely smooth clutch which is very sensitive and perfect line lay, nice single handle (much better for playing fish) and balances a 11ft 1lb12oz rod very nicely.

ATB
Ash

Daiwa don't do a Regal Z at 3000 , it's the X at 3000 ;)

DAIWA REELS

I've been using the Daiwa Regal Z 4000 BRI now for about 4 -5 years, why i went for 4000 size because you can fold the handle flat on the Z, but not on the X , plus on the 4000 size you get both spools the same depth ie deep spools ;) on the 3500 or below you get one shallow, one deep :confused: which i think could unbalance the feel of the rod .

They a nice light reel, good front and back drags, good line lay and peel off , well balance to a good barbel rod ;)

Last edited:
having pair of the old 3500b's and the 4000dl's you mention , i can comment i think , also , friends have the 4000d

first of the 4000d is a direct replacement for the old 3500b , so you may want to consider that ?

the 4000dl i would say are perfectley suitable for your needs

mine are used for tench fishing , but they dealt with a rogue 29lb carp superbly well , as mentioned the clutch is good and line lay is good but that doesnt concern you

Last edited:
Shimano XT 4000 FA better line clip than the 4000D and a spare spool lovely little reel in a nice dark green colour.

I have both 4000Ds and XTFAs. The XTFA is double handle as opposed to single. It comes with two spools (both metal) rather than one. The line clip is a decent sprung metal affair rather than plastic. It lacks the sealed drag and salt proof elements od the D. However, it's a far better VFM buy.

Thanks for all the advice chaps. It seems like everyone agrees with the short-list I came up with originally. There are more votes for the DL, that might just be because more people have them, so I guess it's down to what I want to spend. There's not much to choose between the DL and the Regal so I think I'll go for the DLs, thereby reinforcing my prejudice against all reels that aren't Shimano.

Used all three of the mentioned and 4000D for me. Had two since they first came out. Line clip though can be a bit of a mare. Will mod mine when I get the chance.
BUT spare spools are expensive (35 to 40 squid) and you don't get one with the 4000D. With the DL4000FA you get a spare but one is metal the other is plastic (well things may have changed since) but worth keeping in mind.
Agree with comments on the XT4000FA good VFM, but personally don't like double handles.
Cheers
Bob

Is there much difference in size between the 4000ds and the 6000ds? I fish the Teme, Lower Severn and the Wye. What I'd like to know is am I better off buying some 4000ds and some bigger reels for fishing when there is extra water on/bit of pred fishing or getting some 6000d's? I worry they will be too big for the Teme..... If they did a 5000d it would be perfect. I currently have some 5000 GTE.s, are the 6000ds any bigger than these?

Cheers

Back