• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Shimano D vs OC

I'd say probably not....and I have the D's. I read somewhere that the C's have a stronger bail arm, but I don't get involved in all the mechanics of reels.

Mr Isaac's will know though!!

I have both and don’t see / feel a difference apart from colour .
If I were starting again I’d just get the OCs , they are lovely reel that feel there are more than up to job .
Glad I swapped my DLs for them
( Apart from crappy line clip )

Don't take them on holiday, my 8000 OC is feeling decidedly rickety after taking a bit of a hammering from a few tropicals !

The differences are the D has the following that the OC dose not.

1 piece bail arm (not even sure it’s an advantage)
Lighter composite body
austenitic stainless steel bearings
Sealed drag knob.

Is the D better than the OC ….?
For course angling no, you will never appreciate any of those differences at all.
For salt water angling it is loads better. It’s gonna be slightly lighter to hold on spinning rods, better sealed and the bearings deal with corrosion better

Had both
Brilliant reels
But neither of them top the Thunnus.
The thunnus is a different beast but surprisingly it’s not a lot different in design to the d and OC.

You wouldn’t believe it if I told you but the one and only tiny thing that makes a thunnus feel the smoothest out of all of them is actually the egg handle.
The thunnus has a bearing inside that egg which takes all the free play away from the reels handle which is the bit you feel the most. Without that it would probably feel exactly like a D to use.

It has a very large two piece main gear so it’s got more drive power on the pinion. It has a bearing in the spool so the clutch is assisted which is very nice indeed because there’s never the possibility of it sticking under compression.

Again it’s more tailored to salt water work and other than being a bit smoother your never going to really appreciate what it is on a barbel rod, but you definitely would appreciate it on a days hammerhead fishing

The thunnus is a different beast but surprisingly it’s not a lot different in design to the d and OC.

You wouldn’t believe it if I told you but the one and only tiny thing that makes a thunnus feel the smoothest out of all of them is actually the egg handle.
The thunnus has a bearing inside that egg which takes all the free play away from the reels handle which is the bit you feel the most. Without that it would probably feel exactly like a D to use.

It has a very large two piece main gear so it’s got more drive power on the pinion. It has a bearing in the spool so the clutch is assisted which is very nice indeed because there’s never the possibility of it sticking under compression.

Again it’s more tailored to salt water work and other than being a bit smoother your never going to really appreciate what it is on a barbel rod, but you definitely would appreciate it on a days hammerhead fishing
And of course the immediate thing you notice is the weight difference.

And of course the immediate thing you notice is the weight difference.
It’s not much at all. I’m surprised if you do notice. The body material is obviously a lot lighter but the spec is higher. They chucked another 3 bearings and bigger main gear into the Thunnus so a lot the real savings in weight are off set by the extra steel. Those egg handles ain’t light either.
It’s a great reel I have 2 but the only thing I notice different between it and the models below are slightly smoother operation and definitely a better clutch. Probably the best clutch on a reel that ive ever come across especially the 4000 model where the assisting bearing is actually built into the spool itself.

Hasn’t the “D” got carbon drag washers?

I believe you can get these for the OC for £10ish online. The OC drag seems pretty smooth to me anyway. If anyone has added carbon drag washers I would be interested to know if it makes a noticeable noticeable difference with a barbel on.

My D as got carbon washers and the OCs have felt washers
Might upgrade the felt washers if someone can convince me ?

Back