• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Shimano Bantam Reel Oil ? alternatives ?

Gerry Giles

Senior Member & Supporter
I see its now impossible to buy any Shimano Bantam reel oil ?

even sites that say its in stock when you try to order dont have any so as Im a bit OCD with my reels does anyone know of the same spec oil from another source please ?

I don't know if it is the same spec but Penn and Abu Garcia sell reel oil. Personally, I have always used a light bicycle oil. Never WD40 or 3in1.

I've used the TG Rocket fuel oil for years now, starting with the bearings on my multipliers and always been happy with it

Hair clipper oil is the closest thing I’ve found to the viscosity of what shimano used to supply.
Terry is absolutely bang on the money in the respect that your reel is hardly doing anything and given that oil is only applied in afew drops on certain components so long as it’s not too thick it’s going to do the job just fine.

I use whatever oil is in the larder for cooking.

Only problem I have ever had is when I put too much of the oil that came with the Shimano reel.

I use 3 in 1 oil on mine, and that's not very often to be honest. The bail arm roller get sprayed with silicone spray every time I spray my lines.
Works for me.

In the past I have done a lot of sea angling, now I know the only bearing that needs regular cleaning and oil is in the bail arm roller.

Unless the reel has had a prolonged dunk in a salt pool I would only think about the gearing if it was sounding a little noisy. Then I would put a dab of light grease inside the casing on the main gear. A tiny amount will coat the main gear, any more and on a very hot day some will find its way out!

For the bail arm roller and the main shaft supporting the spool I use a 3M oil pen.

Not seen these for a little while, hope they are back in stock soon!

The oil is thin like sewing machine oil and contains PTFE. I used this oil on spool shaft bearings of my multiplier reels when attempting tournament casting, IMHO it is very good.

I use 3 in 1 oil on mine, and that's not very often to be honest. The bail arm roller get sprayed with silicone spray every time I spray my lines.
Works for me.
What lines do you spray @John Care , and what with? I do use Drennan line-sink spray on my waggler/Polaris lines used for tenching (to combat surface drift), and a dab of Vaseline on my trundling/waggler lines for barbelling, but I don't use anything on my ledger-rig lines.

Thank for all the replies folks I have sorted it my reels have a service port (Shimano 8000 XTEA )
and on your advice have ordered this 4ozs for £2.99 delivered

I think the service port Gerry is a waste of time. In fact it’s pointless. Any oil you put in there is just going to sit at the bottom of the reel and eventually weep through the gaps because it’s not anywhere near the parts that actually need oil. You’d be much better off putting grease on the worm gear then oil the bearings
I hardly use any oil on my reels at all. It’s just not the right lubricant for the mechanical design. If the reel was a sealed sump and the gearing actually ran submerged in oil then it would work but they don’t so grease is the best option

UPDATE !
After chatting with probably the very best reel servicing bloke in the UK today

I was advised DONT PUT OIL in the servicing port of a Shimano reel it simply washes away the grease on the gears and will then cause wear of the gears !
also answered my other question the differences of the 6000,8000, and 10000 XTEA reels
apparently the gears are all the same its just the spool sizes also said some of the best gears are fitted to this range of reels and of course the 8 bearings he spoke very highly of them :cool:

I was advised DONT PUT OIL in the servicing port of a Shimano reel it simply washes away the grease on the gears and will then cause wear of the gears !
Absolutely agree. Makes perfect sense.
A little bit on the bearings and Baitrunner linkage yeah but definitely grease on the worm and gear drives only.
the xtea is definitely the best rear clutch shimano in existence……….. almost as good as a D 😜😜😜😜

Back