• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Shimano Antares multi match 42/45 fast action REDUCED to sell

Richard Isaacs

Senior Member & Supporter
I bought this some while ago brand new/old stock and paid quite a lot of money for it.

I’ve used it several times but in recent times it’s done nothing. It doesn’t fill any gaps in my float rod selection and I’ve only hung onto it because it’s beautiful. I’m over covered for multi length float rods especially ones up to 15ft like my normark 2000/3000 rods and this is just such a waste sitting here.

Condition wise it’s pretty exceptional. Extremely clean and fully complete. It’s been used and caught plenty of big chub but it’s always been treated with the upmost of care and as a result it’s practically flawless and unmarked

It’s a 14ft/15ft fast action match rod built on the best range of shimano rods they’ve ever produced in my opinion.

To expand on that bold statement shimano to my knowledge have never done with their course rod’s anything like what they did with the Antares and that’s build them with “money no object” in mind.

They are completely cladded in Fuji titanium A frame guides exactly the same as normark put on there top tier rods
They fitted them with genuine Fuji kdps reel seats not just generic “shimano” ones.

Every single whipping on the entire rod is double tipped with 3 fine gold bands.

Chrome plated steel inlaid into the handle and above the reel seat which not only looks great but the balance of the whole rod feels feather light because of it.

And the blank!!!!! Oh it’s stunning. Japanese carbon fibre these blanks with the most gorgeous of ruby red colour. All details on every section is etched in gold. It’s just a thing of beauty. Bag and case present both in perfect condition.

So the action and rating for this rod in my opinion shares similarities to acolyte plus models in the way it behaves.
It’s obviously not as light as an acolyte but the exceptional balance counteracts this and I’ll hold it all day without a problem whatsoever.
Reels of 250g - 300g feel perfect.

It’s definitely capable of putting big chub on the bank and I’d have no problem with feeding it 4-6lb main lines. Casting weight upto 20g
The tip is nice and fast and I wouldn’t have any concerns with hitting ultra quick bites with it.
Quite stiff through the lower sections you need something fairly big to start seeing it’s true action in the lower curve but the soft tip will keep most bits n bobs on.
Probably not what I’d chose as a dedicated bit basher as it is still quite a powerful rod but it will do it.

Same thing with barbel. I’m convinced it would tame them in single figures no problem but again I wouldn’t specifically chose it for that.
Chub, perch, tench, bream, grayling and small carp absolutely spot on I’d say and that’s the sort of fishing that it is made for.

Price I’d like £140 for it. NOW £125
I’ve seen them fetch a lot more and I’ve definitely seen far lesser specced rods make alot more. These are shimanos version of Avenger2000’s in both spec and quality.
IMG_1097.jpeg
IMG_1096.jpeg
IMG_1095.jpeg
IMG_1084.jpeg
IMG_1083.jpeg
IMG_1081.jpeg
IMG_1080.jpeg
IMG_1079.jpeg
IMG_1078.jpeg

Last edited:
If hadn’t just bought a 14ft Conny G XP (which I’d been searching for for ages) I could have justified this rod 👍😩
Different animal entirely.
Conny xp will deal with double figured hard fighting barbel which would be a bit much for this rod.
They did an SPC version of it which is slower more through actioned and probably more like the conny.
Great find btw.

Different animal entirely.
Conny xp will deal with double figured hard fighting barbel which would be a bit much for this rod.
They did an SPC version of it which is slower more through actioned and probably more like the conny.
Great find btw.
Yeah I know it’s a different beast - just saying I couldn’t justify shelling out for yet another rod! I have the 450 spc in the garage gathering dust, found the newer speedcast version better balanced. I have it on good authority that the conny is a lighter version of the Spectron m2 xp, so should be spot on. Anyway sorry for hijacking the thread, good luck with the sale!

Yeah I know it’s a different beast - just saying I couldn’t justify shelling out for yet another rod! I have the 450 spc in the garage gathering dust, found the newer speedcast version better balanced. I have it on good authority that the conny is a lighter version of the Spectron m2 xp, so should be spot on. Anyway sorry for hijacking the thread, good luck with the sale!
Hijack away. Rod talk is always welcome especially float rods 😉

I’ve got the spectron m2 xp …… amazing rod. Wouldn’t part with it

Float rod addiction! I also have a Spectron m2 14xp, bought about 7 years ago - however I lost 3/4 inch off the top one day a couple of seasons back - still performs great, but my OCD kicked in and I started a very patient search for another one, and then conny came along.........

Float rod addiction! I also have a Spectron m2 14xp, bought about 7 years ago - however I lost 3/4 inch off the top one day a couple of seasons back - still performs great, but my OCD kicked in and I started a very patient search for another one, and then conny came along.........
Would you sell the m2

I bought this some while ago brand new/old stock and paid quite a lot of money for it.

I’ve used it several times but in recent times it’s done nothing. It doesn’t fill any gaps in my float rod selection and I’ve only hung onto it because it’s beautiful. I’m over covered for multi length float rods especially ones up to 15ft like my normark 2000/3000 rods and this is just such a waste sitting here.

Condition wise it’s pretty exceptional. Extremely clean and fully complete. It’s been used and caught plenty of big chub but it’s always been treated with the upmost of care and as a result it’s practically flawless and unmarked

It’s a 14ft/15ft fast action match rod built on the best range of shimano rods they’ve ever produced in my opinion.

To expand on that bold statement shimano to my knowledge have never done with their course rod’s anything like what they did with the Antares and that’s build them with “money no object” in mind.

They are completely cladded in Fuji titanium A frame guides exactly the same as normark put on there top tier rods
They fitted them with genuine Fuji kdps reel seats not just generic “shimano” ones.

Every single whipping on the entire rod is double tipped with 3 fine gold bands.

Chrome plated steel inlaid into the handle and above the reel seat which not only looks great but the balance of the whole rod feels feather light because of it.

And the blank!!!!! Oh it’s stunning. Japanese carbon fibre these blanks with the most gorgeous of ruby red colour. All details on every section is etched in gold. It’s just a thing of beauty. Bag and case present both in perfect condition.

So the action and rating for this rod in my opinion shares similarities to acolyte plus models in the way it behaves.
It’s obviously not as light as an acolyte but the exceptional balance counteracts this and I’ll hold it all day without a problem whatsoever.
Reels of 250g - 300g feel perfect.

It’s definitely capable of putting big chub on the bank and I’d have no problem with feeding it 4-6lb main lines. Casting weight upto 20g
The tip is nice and fast and I wouldn’t have any concerns with hitting ultra quick bites with it.
Quite stiff through the lower sections you need something fairly big to start seeing it’s true action in the lower curve but the soft tip will keep most bits n bobs on.
Probably not what I’d chose as a dedicated bit basher as it is still quite a powerful rod but it will do it.

Same thing with barbel. I’m convinced it would tame them in single figures no problem but again I wouldn’t specifically chose it for that.
Chub, perch, tench, bream, grayling and small carp absolutely spot on I’d say and that’s the sort of fishing that it is made for.

Price I’d like £140 for it.
I’ve seen them fetch a lot more and I’ve definitely seen far lesser specced rods make alot more. These are shimanos version of Avenger2000’s in both spec and quality. View attachment 24730View attachment 24731View attachment 24732View attachment 24733View attachment 24734View attachment 24735View attachment 24736View attachment 24737View attachment 24738
Best listing I have ever seen. The info is unrivalled , the rod sublime.

I would love to Richard. I think you may be a bit younger than I am but should probably remember" hearts and flowers". Passing you hopefully Thursday or Friday. Hoping to fish decoy lakes with a good friend of mine for the first time but depends on weather and me shaking off a cold. Not sure whether it makes me a tackle tart but to me there's nothing better than sitting behind a pair of proper rods thinking they not only look like the dogs nuts but will perform as well too. Your rod will clearly qualify as one of them.

Back