• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Shimano antares barbel rod

Ben Jennings

Don't ask me why but I was looking about at top end rods and came across these. For high end rods I can't seem to find much about them. Was just wondering if anyone had tried these especially the bx version with the 1.5, 1.75 and quiver top and if so what you thought of them?

I have the power version and its a cracking rod, one of the best out there, the blank is outstanding. One upgrade is probably better guides, now if they had put daiwa's advanced barbel guides on it or even fuji K series guides it would have been the best of the shelf. all you need to do is buy a spare butt to make it 2 rods?

Thanks Jon would you rate the blank more than an infinity? I've got an infinity but need a pair of rods so not sure whether to find an old style infinity to match or change.

For off the shelf the infinity takes some beating. The antares blank is great but only let down by poor gudes. Its a shame really so in the closed season a couple of years ago I upgraded it myself with some k series guides. Just my opinion.

I have the power version and its a cracking rod, one of the best out there, the blank is outstanding. One upgrade is probably better guides, now if they had put daiwa's advanced barbel guides on it or even fuji K series guides it would have been the best of the shelf. all you need to do is buy a spare butt to make it 2 rods?
Hi. What butt do I need to get to make my power rod into 2 rods?

Thanks. I've also read that the Beastmaster fits ok with a more economical finish. I'm not sure which one will fit the midsection on my rod. Had it for years and only been put together and never seen a drop of water. Seems a shame not to start using it.

I had a pair years ago, absolutely superb rods. Do you have the full set up, quivers etc

Full unused set in original Shimano rod bag. Not seen light of day since I got it in 2013. Think it’s still in a rod storage tube in the attic somewhere.

Back