• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Shimano Aero XR 3000 or similar wanted

David Winterburn

Senior Member & Supporter
Thinking about a lightweight FS reel with low capacity spool/s included to pair up with a 13' float rod (Drennan Ultralight) - previous BFW posts suggest the XR 3000 is "the one"
Alternative suggestions welcome & gratefully received, as I'm very much out of touch with current coarse tackle - the last new float fishing reel I bought was a Mitchell Match.

I’ve got a few of the 3000 and one of the 5000 and a really like them. I’m sure you will get different opinions on what size but it will be personal preference I would think. They are really light though and personally I really like them compared to the shimanos I’d had for the previous 20 years.

Thinking about a lightweight FS reel with low capacity spool/s included to pair up with a 13' float rod (Drennan Ultralight) - previous BFW posts suggest the XR 3000 is "the one"
Alternative suggestions welcome & gratefully received, as I'm very much out of touch with current coarse tackle - the last new float fishing reel I bought was a Mitchell Match.
I’m selling an XR4000 (almost brand new) further down the classifieds.

Brilliant reels - mine is only for sale because I’ve gone for the 5000 size.

Thanks Christian, much appreciated. The ninja reel has been really good for lightweight feeder work and the little bit of waggler fishing I've done so far. With the prospect of no river fishing for the next 3 months WADAA yearbook lakes & tarns will be my main venues. Reliably informed it's either method feeder or pellet wag.
The salmon rods have been out just twice this year.

Thanks Christian, much appreciated. The ninja reel has been really good for lightweight feeder work and the little bit of waggler fishing I've done so far. With the prospect of no river fishing for the next 3 months WADAA yearbook lakes & tarns will be my main venues. Reliably informed it's either method feeder or pellet wag.
The salmon rods have been out just twice this year.

Hi David, glad its done the job. The XR in 3000 will be similar to the ninja but a bit lighter and nicer to use. As you've probably seen, it also has a spool reducer. Best of luck on the lakes and tarns.

Back