• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Shimano Aero Ci4 4000

David Holder

Senior Member & Supporter
Dear all

I hope that the new season is treating you all well!

I’d appreciate any thoughts on the potential choice of the above reel to balance my 13ft 1.25lb Chimera, which I use for general ledgering on my local river Mole around Dorking for chub, barbel and carp. I like that the reel is compact and light but it does seem pretty similar in appearance and feel at least to my Aero Match 4000 which I definitely wouldn’t be wanting to barbel with. Does the reel have sufficient grunt to handle double figure fish in a snaggy river?

On a related matter I know that the SS2600 is a different beast in terms of weight and technology (and I haven’t handled one) but it might offer a bit more grunt and robustness when required? Price isn’t really a problem, suitability is, so any alternative suggestions would be gratefully received (I already have a Technium 5000 and 4000D US baitrunner for heavier work)

I have trolled through the forum but specific comment on the Shimano Aero Ci4 4000 isn’t that forthcoming, which might tell me what I need to know! My thought is that a 5000 size would be ideal but they don’t seem to exist that much anymore. BTW I have no need for a baitrunner facility.

Thanks in advance and tight lines

D

Daiwa Theory SP reel, I have two and they are 4000 size but designed for big fish in the gearing and retreive.

Can I suggest you look it up on Google and have a good read about them. The clutch is faultless and it has a quick drag that I like. Ive seen them as low as £125 recently, they are a good price at that.

Hope it helps.

I have only just started to fish for Barbel again

but I CAN tell you the Daiwa SS2600 is a fantastic tool the line lay is brilliant, super clutch I have used one for surface fishing for carp for a number of years and had lots of 20 plus carp with it I cant comment on the other reels but the Daiwa SS2600 is a pretty special reel and a top favourite light line reel in the carp fishing world

Well I eventually found a Theory SP 4000 reel (which took some doing) and it arrived yesterday. It is substantial in terms of solidness (and weight!) but it looks like it will fit the bill nicely. Thanks for the suggestion.

Back