• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Shimano 5000

Luke Ayling

Hello gents...
I thinking maybe it's time to replace the reels.,
Am I right in thinking that shimano don't make any 5000s anymore other than the basic baitrunner RE ??

Luke

Luke, you could do a lot worse than the 5000RE, been using one for a few seasons and its still going strong. At around £50, its money well spent in my eyes. It does exactly what it says on the tin. :D

I agree that the 5000Re are good reels
But after a couple of seasons the clutches on mine arnt what they used to be..I wanted to buy something else simalar but better quality...
Ive got four 5000Re baitrunners and they seem to have all gone the same way

Luke

Me to Luke been using RE 5000's for a long time just had them serviced come back like brand new decided to stick with what ive got
Dave

XTEA is the only 5000 reel to have, faultless.
pick em up 2nd hand, well worth the silly money.

Luke,
Can't you send them for a service, as Dave said! I had some of the new versions and they were rubbish. Line lay was awful, gave them away. You could also try some 6000 not much difference in weight and larger spools.
Paul.
Ps have you been out at all seems an age since Guy and i wet a line.

GOT TO AGREE WITH DAVID THE 5000 XTEA IS A GREAT REEL. IF YOU LOOK ON CLASSIFIED AD IM SELLING A SHIMANO ULTEGRA Ci4 XSA 4500 ITS LIGHTER THEN THE XTEA GREAT CRANKING POWER I HAVE BOTH REELS XTEA 5000 AND THE ULTEGRA 4500 THE BEST REELS I HAVE HANDLED WITH OUT A DOUBT

How much did they cost to service David ?
And I've been out Paul,but nothing too exciting to speak of really..

Luke

Had a pair of GTE5000C reels nicked recently .
Insurance replaced them via Angling Direct but they subbed a pair of 6000D EU's as the 5000 size no longer availeable apparently .
I loved the old GTE5OOO's but wouldn't want to be on the Wye etc with them as I reckon heavy feeders would kill them , they were perfect for Dorset Stour .
Have now used the 6000's a dozen times .
Clutch - silky { so were 5000's }
R

Hmm - hadn't finished !
Retrieve now wearing in a bit so that passes .
Baitrunner control is an impovement with cold muddy fingers .
Looks are bit bling - gold spool - but they are getting muddier .
Handle --- bad !!
Well good for cranking a feeder in if that's what you do , but I loved the double handle and these apparently don't have that option - though not looked into it with Shimano . The single handle falls forward if slack lining which is a pain - but better still - falls off altogether if you fold handle in when transporting in a quiver !!!! { it's a nice feeling getting to your swim and finding no handle }
This I have complained about - got told to wrap an elastic band round the reel stem and loop over handle when folded .
Hi-tec stuff .

Ring Felindre Swansea Shimano they may be able to recommend a double handle.

How much did they cost to service David ?
And I've been out Paul,but nothing too exciting to speak of really..

Luke

Luke,They charged me about £35 for both reels and had them back in under a week !
Sent them to -http://www.shimanofelindre.co.uk/index.php?page=felindre-service
Dave

I want a pair of these in the 6000 size, this sight has them for the same price as the 4000's, must be a glitch surely? (and no Dave Im not calling you Shirley:D)
The oceanics look a bit more of a workhorse than the d's and hopefully will have a firmer/stiffer bail arm (that you dont have to treat ultra carefully when transporting your gear for fear of bending).

On the advice re XTEA 5000 on here had a look on local for sale site and found a twice used XTEA 5000 for £50. :)

Do you think that's a good deal?

The wife thinks I have too many reels...wimmin eh?

Back