• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Shimano 4000d

Big difference in weight between those reels. You’ll have to have a play and see which ones balance up best.

I had a pair of 3500bs that I bought cheap on gumtree. They were the roughest looking pair of reels you’d ever seen. I wish I had a picture. They looked like they’d been through a wood chipper 🤣
They performed amazingly though. I couldn’t think of another reel that could of taken that sort of sheer abuse yet still keep on cranking.
I think I paid around 40 quid a reel. I sold em because I couldn’t balance em up with anything at the time. My heaviest rod was a chimera 2 and they were just a bit heavy for it really. They’d sit lovely on my big rivers I have nowadays.

Both cracking reels.

I have 4000ds on my lighter rods, and 3500b's on my heavier rods. Love both for different reasons and I won't be replacing them for many years to come.
When you say heavier rods what test curve are you talking about and what casting weight will they happily cast and retrieve all day

I have them on my Chimera 3's which are 2.25lb TC. No problem cranking in 6oz leads and 5oz feeders. I also use them for piking on 11ft 2.5 tc rods and they deal with it effortlessly.

Back