• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Shimano 4000 oc v 6000 oc

Chris Thomson

Hi, is there much difference in size between the 2 ? Looking for one of them for my free spirit 1 3/4 tc rods , usually with 12 lb mono and 3 oz leads , mainly under the rod top so casting not an issue prob wondering if the 4000 has suitable cranking power for big barbel close in , thanks for any feedback

Hi, is there much difference in size between the 2 ? Looking for one of them for my free spirit 1 3/4 tc rods , usually with 12 lb mono and 3 oz leads , mainly under the rod top so casting not an issue prob wondering if the 4000 has suitable cranking power for big barbel close in , thanks for any feedback
Chris,
You’ll find the 4000 a perfect match for your FS 1.75TC. Balances nicely on the rod, plenty of “cranking” power. The OC’s have a single handle so longer than a twin handle reel. The combination you propose is exactly what I use on the Medway, Wye, Kennet and Middle Severn.
Regards
Bill

Hi Chris, I agree with Bill. I use 4000oc's on my free spirits and the cranking power is great. I've got 5000gte 's, but prefer the OC 's.

I use the 4000 OC on rods up to 1.75 TC and the 6000 OC on 2 pound TC to 2.75.

The 6000 OC is noticeably heavier than the 4000 and feels unbalanced on the lighter rods. I also have an 8000 OC on a pike rod, not nearly that much bigger/heavier than the 6000.

All are great workhorses, the 4000 OC has taken a 29lb river carp and the 6000 OC river carp to 44lb. I use braid on all of them and the clutch is smooth, never worried about jerkiness on a run but when required it will stop big carp making it to the sunken trees. Any break-offs are purely down to "operator error" or the sharp edged rocks!

The 6000 feels almost twice the amount of reel than the 4000. I use 4000d on my 1.75 as the others say they are spot on.

Back