• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Shimano 4000 FA / FB

Kevin Brown

Senior Member & Supporter
Hi new member :)

so I’ve decided to up my game for the barbel and I’m looking at a new pair of reels and rods for that matter
I’m really fancying the 4000 aero bait runners despite the line behind the spool issues
I see they have released an updated FB version
anyone have a play with them ? Notice any obvious differences , I can’t see from pictures but I doubt they have solved the problem with the line behind the spool issue .
I know I could just go with the D or OC version , but I won’t be happy till I’m proved wrong 😑

thanks , looking around all day yesterday, looks like a great friendly and informative forum

I got rid of mine because the line behind the spool issue …. Because it’s a right barrel of laughs hand lining a 9 lb barbel in when it’s dark… could cost you a fish of a lifetime

Welcome Kevin,
They're a great crowd on here with lots of knowledge they are happy to share. Don't be to quick to buy anything new, because there are some fantastic offers in the classified section.
Good look with your barbel fishing.

Hi new member :)

so I’ve decided to up my game for the barbel and I’m looking at a new pair of reels and rods for that matter
I’m really fancying the 4000 aero bait runners despite the line behind the spool issues
I see they have released an updated FB version
anyone have a play with them ? Notice any obvious differences , I can’t see from pictures but I doubt they have solved the problem with the line behind the spool issue .
I know I could just go with the D or OC version , but I won’t be happy till I’m proved wrong 😑

thanks , looking around all day yesterday, looks like a great friendly and informative forum
Hi Kevin,
Welcome to the forum. I am a relative "newbie" as well and found this forum to be very informative.
I have a new (ish) pair of Shimano Baitrunner DL 4000 FB reels. Never had the "line behind the spool" issue (that's tempting fate!) Caught many barbel on them and last Friday landed a 22.5lb Common without any problems.
I like the reels, but, like rods, they tend to be a "personal" choice if you know what I mean? I have a mate who likes closed face reels, I hate them!
It's a pity you can't "try before you buy"!
Good luck and hope you find reels that suit you.

Well I took the advice from members here and my urge to buy the aero baitrunners as diminished , plus they are going for silly money , so that helps !
I actually found some DL 4000s on eBay last night that were reduced to £67 (new) each after an eBay coupon .
as these are normally £85 or more , thought this was too good to pass up and I bought a pair ;)

Now my search for a pair of 12ft Harrison Torrix 1.75 will begin 😎

Well I took the advice from members here and my urge to buy the aero baitrunners as diminished , plus they are going for silly money , so that helps !
I actually found some DL 4000s on eBay last night that were reduced to £67 (new) each after an eBay coupon .
as these are normally £85 or more , thought this was too good to pass up and I bought a pair ;)

Now my search for a pair of 12ft Harrison Torrix 1.75 will begin 😎
Sounds like a good deal Kevin.
Now all you have to do is find a river with water in it!
Tight lines

Sounds like a good deal Kevin.
Now all you have to do is find a river with water in it!
Tight lines
Yes that always helps ! I’m away for a couple of weeks next week , hopefully when I get back it might have rained 🤞

The aero x is only a problem if you are under arm casting and allowing the line to be slack when the lead hits the water.
In cases where you can feather down and keep a tight line on impact, you’ll never have an issue with them. They did not suit my fishing at all.
The DL is a better reel imo. The spool skirt is much deeper and doesn’t suffer the same problem.

I’d have a D over both personally but I don’t particularly like double handles too much

Back