• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Shimano 3500B Servicing

Well I’ve seen enough.
I don’t think it’s a great video to for a beginner follow personally.
Is that video really going to encourage someone to strip their reel if they don’t feel comfortable?
You do not need to strip it to that extent to service it to the same standard for a start.

For 1 he didn’t mark anything up at all. The nut on top of the yoke he just tightened it up.
All the washers from the anti reverse and the baitrunner. Not a single identifiable mark on any part to show their position or orientation.
Secondly…… How much grease????
He’s blathered far too much grease on practically everything. That reel is gonna feel very tight in winter when that grease goes harder.

Thirdly ….. no mention of the timing between the two gears doing the oscillation which should always go back exactly how they came out.

Superglue won’t hold that rotor weight for long. Use some strong loctite like bearing fit and Leave it overnight to go rock hard.

The line roller should definitely be mentioned that it goes together one way only and you don’t put grease on anything to do with the bail arm because ground bait and shit can stick to it like shit to a blanket. ……. Oil here and only a drop.

And why wouldn’t he mention the importance of carefully laying out your clutch washers in the correct sequence. He just turfed them out and chucked them back in…….that’s no good for a novice watching

Also clutch back together completely bone dry? I’d of put something on those plates depending on what they are made of. They’ll wear out start sticking after a while.

The video is ok if you know what your doing already but I’d never ask someone who’s never done it before to do it following that.

Well I’ve seen enough.
I don’t think it’s a great video to for a beginner follow personally.
Is that video really going to encourage someone to strip their reel if they don’t feel comfortable?
You do not need to strip it to that extent to service it to the same standard for a start.

For 1 he didn’t mark anything up at all. The nut on top of the yoke he just tightened it up.
All the washers from the anti reverse and the baitrunner. Not a single identifiable mark on any part to show their position or orientation.
Secondly…… How much grease????
He’s blathered far too much grease on practically everything. That reel is gonna feel very tight in winter when that grease goes harder.

Thirdly ….. no mention of the timing between the two gears doing the oscillation which should always go back exactly how they came out.

Superglue won’t hold that rotor weight for long. Use some strong loctite like bearing fit and Leave it overnight to go rock hard.

The line roller should definitely be mentioned that it goes together one way only and you don’t put grease on anything to do with the bail arm because ground bait and shit can stick to it like shit to a blanket. ……. Oil here and only a drop.

And why wouldn’t he mention the importance of carefully laying out your clutch washers in the correct sequence. He just turfed them out and chucked them back in…….that’s no good for a novice watching

Also clutch back together completely bone dry? I’d of put something on those plates depending on what they are made of. They’ll wear out start sticking after a while.

The video is ok if you know what your doing already but I’d never ask someone who’s never done it before to do it following that.
I’ve read enough!

Richard anyone with any intelligence Wouldn’t wade in and strip a reel unless they had a good understanding of how to service one to start with. I posted the link thinking it would be useful to some not to have it dissected by the local reel expert…. I love the internet me!

I’ve read enough!

Richard anyone with any intelligence Wouldn’t wade in and strip a reel unless they had a good understanding of how to service one to start with. I posted the link thinking it would be useful to some not to have it dissected by the local reel expert…. I love the internet me!
Well my post was written with the best intentions as well. I’m not falling out with people over it I’m just saying …

Back