• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Shimano 3500B Problem

Fred Haskins

Before going to the bother of sending the reel to the service center I thought I would ask here first in case I'm having a dumb moment:)

I have two of these reels and have just re-spooled both of them, on one the line lay was fine but the other had the line bunched to the front. I stripped the line off and checked the spool was located correctly on the spindle, all was good. I tried to spool up again and had the same issue, I once again stripped the line and this time put the spool on the other reel and tried again, this time it was fine.
This means I guess that the issue is with the reel itself not the spool so it is not a case of adding/removing spool washers to adjust the line lay, unless I have to tune each spool to match the reel body!

The reels are two years old but this is the first time I have re-spooled them and I can not remember if I used just one reel to fill both spools the first time round, so the issue could have been with me from day one.

Any ideas please.

Fred

Hi Fred,I have the same problem with an 8000 sized reel.
With mine the problem is the shaft that carries the spool does not always go up and down as it should.Sometimes it stays in the same place for 2 or 3 turns of the handle so the line bunches up in one place on the spool.If you are not watching it you probably wouldn't realise it was happening.
I will send it to Felindre when I get time.
Phil.W

I had the same problem with my 3500b, I have a spare spool for mine, and changed spools , what had happened was that when I removed the spool, I managed to loose a small washer that sat on the shaft under the spool,I replaced it with another home made one cut from a butter spread container, and all was well.

Dave.

Check the shaft upon which the spool sits, some reels have a locking nut on to fasten the rotator on - I have had reels (admittedly Okuma) where this lock nut comes loose and effects line lay, a simple tighten solves the problem

Back