• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Shelter

Paul Boyle

What do you use when roving as a shelter .
Im looking for a Brolly/Umbrella type thing for when im on the move..any ideas ?

Paul.
Please no daft remarks like a tree or a hat.;)

Paul, as Steven suggests above, a good quality poncho, ( just ordered a new one from the BFW shop, my old one was purple and had Alton Towers printed on it :D ), and a wide brimmed hat. Jobs a goodun' :) Light as peanuts. Saves lugging a brolly/shelter about. :)

Last edited:
Paul, as Steven suggests above, a good quality poncho, ( just ordered a new one from the BFW shop, my old one was purple and had Alton Towers printed on it :D ), and a wide brimmed hat. Jobs a goodun' :) Light as peanuts. Saves lugging a brolly/shelter about. :)

Sitting hoping you don't get a take because as soon as you stand up and move to play, land, unhook, weigh a fish all your gear and chair gets soaking wet, you probably won't get a picture of that fish of a lifetime unless you have a waterproof camera! Oh and if you use pellets they don't take water well, oh and rule out any kind of PVA!

Think I will stick to my waterproof jacket and trousers and brolly thanks ;)

Sitting hoping you don't get a take because as soon as you stand up and move to play, land, unhook, weigh a fish all your gear and chair gets soaking wet, you probably won't get a picture of that fish of a lifetime unless you have a waterproof camera! Oh and if you use pellets they don't take water well, oh and rule out any kind of PVA!

Think I will stick to my waterproof jacket and trousers and brolly thanks ;)

Ian, don,t get me wrong, i too prefer the umbrella,s comfort, if i,m sticking it out in one swim. But if i,m going to be roving, or moving swims a few times, then the brolly gets left behind, especially if its very windy. The waterproof jacket/trousers will do. The poncho is for taking shelter in the heaviest of downpours. :)

I don,t use PVA, and why would i buy pellets that were no good in water:confused: :D

What I started taking with me last season was an ordinary umbrella with its handle sawn off. With the handle off a cheapo aluminium straight (none-telescopic) bank stick fits snugly into the shaft. This gives me enough shelter when roaming as, at most, I use a BumBuddy 'seat'. The bank stick and brolly weight next to nothing, and fit very easily into my Korum 2 rod quiver. And with the brolly being so small and light its possible to use it between river and car. I found I used it much more often than I'd have used a full sized brolly as its so easy to put up, down, and away. Love it:)

Ive just got a korum 2 funny enough..

you have a pm Terry..
Thanks for the idea's gents...and a poncho sounds like a good one :).

Paul

You can by umbrella just like Terry described, I have one and it comes with a detachable handle and a spike and is similar in size to a golf umbrella. But for serious roving I prefer lightweight waterproofs.

Pauncho for me too. I can get a heck of a lot of kit under mine and keeps it all nice and dry. Bit heavy to carry around though.

Back