• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Shellfish baits

Lee Williams

Anyone ever tried them.. Whelks in particular.. Big tough and smelly, can imagine them working in floodwater.. Mussels too.. Any thoughts?

Try googling mussells as freshwater fish bait,you will get lots of hits. I am sure sometime back I saw a video of Matt Heys using Mussells as a bait for Chub, or was it Mick Brown ?

Dave

I netted a snail out the margins and hair rigged it once. Was messy as hell cause the shell broke but the take I got on it was vicious as hell. Straightened the hook out when I lost the fish.

Prawns are supposed to be good although they are technically crustaceans not shellfish. They are quite cheap frozen from the supermarket. I have not tried them yet though but I plan on it.

These guys show how to hook them:

Tench and carp like Mussels , can't see why barbel won't as they will eat almost anything else . Mussels can be a bit soft but if you experiment there is a tough part of the flesh that will hold a hook . Use fresh mussels rather than the ones in jars in vinegar

Use prawns a lot, had a fair few Barbel on them but they're fantastic for Tench and Perch, Carp too.
Mussels and cockles seem to work very well for all the above too. Very popular baits on the Upper Lea fisheries.

Back