• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Shareholders must be worried

That’s 3 companies that ADMITTED releasing sewage on ‘dry’ days. The others refused to respond to the question.

They almost certainly broke the law too.

Feargal Sharkey is our new best mate. I'm glad a few high profile people are getting involved. My local river (Medway) suffered an 'incident' recently and fish have been killed. The rise in population doesn't help. More people, more shit.

I’m personally a little disappointed that the news article impacts, talk about human health e.g swimming. No mention of wildlife including fish 🙄

I keep saying that as anglers, we are not making enough noise about this. Whenever it’s on BBC or Sky News it generally some posh women’s local swimming group in a rich Tory suburb, who is being interviewed!

As individuals we should all be emailing our MP’s, reminding them that there’s a general election coming soon and that the one million+ anglers in this country are all fed up with the current state of our rivers! Leaving it to Fergal Sharkey and a few others, is a lazy approach.

There was a half hour slot this morning between 8.00 and 8.30 on BBC news about pollution and the pisspoor performance of the Water Companies in general, our mate Feargal was on banging the drum, very eloquently!👊

Just an aside to all those who might feel negatively towards all the 'greedy, grasping shareholders' out there .... if you have a pension pot then you, almost certainly, are one of those a shareholders :eek:

I’m personally a little disappointed that the news article impacts, talk about human health e.g swimming. No mention of wildlife including fish 🙄

I keep saying that as anglers, we are not making enough noise about this. Whenever it’s on BBC or Sky News it generally some posh women’s local swimming group in a rich Tory suburb, who is being interviewed!

As individuals we should all be emailing our MP’s, reminding them that there’s a general election coming soon and that the one million+ anglers in this country are all fed up with the current state of our rivers! Leaving it to Fergal Sharkey and a few others, is a lazy approach.
Sadly Neil the majority of anglers just aren't bothered.

Water quality, or rather policies to protect the environment just isn't something that would even enter their thinking while walking up to the ballot box.

Shareholders, worried? You must be joking. It's customers who'll be paying the bill for updating the infrastructure.

And as long as we have Terese Coffey as Secretary of State for the Environment nothing is going to change.

And as long as we have Terese Coffey as Secretary of State for the Environment nothing is going to change.
She is utterly incompetent and appears to have an utter disregard for environmental protection, but the sad thing is that she probably isn't the worst person to hold that position under this Govt (Truss?Patterson?).

Michael Gove was one of the better Defra SOS's in the last 10 years, yet he is behind the decision to rip up the nutrient neutrality rules for new house building. So they are all completely rotten in seems.

I'm not convinced a change of Govt will necessarily change that much, but at least the naked corruption will be removed. For a while.

Sadly, we can't vote for different water companies.

Due to the basis of our Democracy there will never be any long term planning, which is what this country needs/deserves for the environment.
Each Political Party tries to implement a series of "quick fixes" to impress voters. However, unplanned events overwhelm them ie Covid, war in Ukraine etc etc.
So those issues needing inter-party long term planning such as pollution, energy security, immigration etc are pretty much left alone as they can't be fixed between
elections.
That, and the fact that most (not all) Ministers/MP's are incompetent and just covering their behinds.
Long term planning and agreement between parties on the best way forward to tackle these big issues is the only way they can be fixed.
Meanwhile the CEO's and shareholders of the Water Co's inc Pension Funds are hoping the "status quo" remains.

Long term planning and agreement between parties on the best way forward to tackle these big issues is the only way they can be fixed.

Bang on. It's called coalition and only the Liberals and Greens will vote for it. Maybe we should take a class action to the ECHR, while we still can, to force the UK to adopt PR, like most of the EU.

Due to the basis of our Democracy there will never be any long term planning, which is what this country needs/deserves for the environment.
Each Political Party tries to implement a series of "quick fixes" to impress voters. However, unplanned events overwhelm them ie Covid, war in Ukraine etc etc.
So those issues needing inter-party long term planning such as pollution, energy security, immigration etc are pretty much left alone as they can't be fixed between
elections.
That, and the fact that most (not all) Ministers/MP's are incompetent and just covering their behinds.
Meanwhile the CEO's and shareholders of the Water Co's inc Pension Funds are hoping the "status quo" remains.
‘Inter party planning’. I had to smile mate, most parties can’t agree with their own ministers let alone other parties…..
G.T.

‘Inter party planning’. I had to smile mate...

Me too, but if we had coalition governments it would no longer be in the interest of individual MPs to stick rigidly to party lines in order to get their party elected. It's a more grown-up way to govern and would force MPs to govern for the long term, not just five-year cycles.

And while we're at it, reform of the civil service would make as big a difference to the efficiency of government as any shake-up of the electoral system.

That's government sorted. Now, more importantly, I need to go and tie some push-stop hook-lengths.

What changes are Labour going to make. Bearing in mind they have promised to change EVERYTHING for free if they are elected…..
I didn't post the article to highlight the policies of any political party, simply just to highlight the view being put forward that the sewage crisis is an electoral issue. This comes a welcome surprise to me.

And as for labour - best thing for you to do would be to read their draft policy platforms which will form the basis of their election manifesto (next year??)

But in summary, related to the issue of sewage they have pledged to:
  • Use regulatory powers to keep consumer bills down and ensure that water companies – rather than the public – pay for their failures
  • Set mandatory targets to halve water leaks…Strike off company directors who continually breach and ignore their responsibilities
  • Ensure illegal activity is punished and ensure payments of dividends are linked to key performance metrics
  • Introduce mandatory monitoring of sewage outlets and automatic fines for sewage discharges, with a penalty for outlets that do not have monitoring in place.
  • Set ambitious targets to cut sewage outflows
I don't see any spending pledges as such. But actually enforcing existing laws and legislation would be a good start. Although as ever the devil in in the detail.

And no I'm not a labour voter, nor have I ever have been.

Me too, but if we had coalition governments it would no longer be in the interest of individual MPs to stick rigidly to party lines in order to get their party elected. It's a more grown-up way to govern and would force MPs to govern for the long term, not just five-year cycles.
Agreed.

Across much of Europe coalition Governments are often the norm rather than the exception. Its certainly a much grown-up way to run a country and get things done. Very difficult to achieve in the deliberately adversarial system we have in the UK which seems to encourage the polarisation of views.

What changes are Labour going to make. Bearing in mind they have promised to change EVERYTHING for free if they are elected…..

I didn't post the article to highlight the policies of any political party, simply just to highlight the view being put forward that the sewage crisis is an electoral issue. This comes a welcome surprise to me.

And as for labour - best thing for you to do would be to read their draft policy platforms which will form the basis of their election manifesto (next year??)

But in summary, related to the issue of sewage they have pledged to:
  • Use regulatory powers to keep consumer bills down and ensure that water companies – rather than the public – pay for their failures
  • Set mandatory targets to halve water leaks…Strike off company directors who continually breach and ignore their responsibilities
  • Ensure illegal activity is punished and ensure payments of dividends are linked to key performance metrics
  • Introduce mandatory monitoring of sewage outlets and automatic fines for sewage discharges, with a penalty for outlets that do not have monitoring in place.
  • Set ambitious targets to cut sewage outflows
I don't see any spending pledges as such. But actually enforcing existing laws and legislation would be a good start. Although as ever the devil in in the detail.

And no I'm not a labour voter, nor have I ever have been.
Labour would have more credibility if the Welsh ( Labour controlled ) waters were any better….they aren’t.
G.T.

Back