• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Shakespeare Mach 3 15 foot float rod - can it handle barbel?

Graham Shaw

Looking at getting a 15 foot float rod second hand, mainly for 15 foot deep rivers here in Yorks, but also thinking about casting & long trotting control on shallow gravel stretches of the wye when I go down there, so has anyone used a Mach 3 for barbel and was it OK.

Like my other rod enquiry thread below, this is just because of the availability of a second hand item at what seems a fair price.

(No need to recommend anything else cos i won't be able to afford it :) )

for there money they were regarded quite highly..my friend still uses them for big chub and I had a waggle with it last winter. While obviously they're not the lightest of rods I reckon you'd cope alright with big fish as long as you don't expect too much out of it.

maggotdrowners would be a good place to search for info on them.

The Mach series of rods have always been highly regarded. I can not see any problem handling Barbel in the 5 to 6lb range. But remember that it is a float rod and not a Carp rod where you can just bully it in. Float rod and a Barbel is great fun, playing it in.

I've got a 14', I use it for chub. It's ok with the occasional bonus barbel but I wouldn't use it for stick float fishing for barbel

I had one and landed barbel to a little over 15lb on it without to much trouble. It will be fine if you have some room but not if you need to stop them reaching snags.

Will be fine for your home river but won't be great for long trotting on the Wye, not tippy enough for that.

If you get one taking a few inches off the butt and adding some lead to it makes them much nicer to hold for any length of time.

The rod is fine, it's all about the angler really, at 15ft you have a big leaver that generates a good bit of power, but unlikely to suffer a 'pull'.

Any rod will do in reality. My mate last week had a 12.12 tidal Trent Barbel on an Avanta 9ft winkle picker.

Back