• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Shakespeare 15' B1 Specailist float rod

Was looking at this rod in Bobco yesterday and it didn't feel too bad in the hand. Felt like there was a bit of poke about it not up to Drennan quality but neither is the price!
Anybody had any experience of them?

Shakespeare rods are nearly always grossly underrated for what they cost. There has been some brilliant rods come out of the shakey catalogue

This B1 is that the SKP ? It looks a lovely rod.
I’ve not use unfortunately

Spot on Graham, they did a 12-16ft lxl match rod that was a fantastic bit of kit, I have two. They then bought out a Superteam range to replace the LXL which was poor in comparison.

Was looking at this rod in Bobco yesterday and it didn't feel too bad in the hand. Felt like there was a bit of poke about it not up to Drennan quality but neither is the price!
Anybody had any experience of them?
Nice rod for the money, none get anywhere near tbh. Now if I was gonna buy a rod for the odd Barbel, I'd rather by this than the Acco specimen and save the extra money for a decent reel etc...

I've airways thought shakespeare have made some great kit. I've got an agility 2 (or similar pellet waggler) it's unbelievable quality for the money so light and great performance. I think it cost me about £70!!

My first proper seat box as a kid was a blue Shakespeare. I couldn’t afford the octoplus to go on it.
Bloody thing went miles and miles of swale bank on my back only to get leveled out with rocks and stones when I got to my spots 🤣

Yeap same here I had the smaller box think it was a beta? Still in my shed timeless. Mine got taken on many missions I remember the blood haemorrhage in my shoulder from it. No padding on the seat either

I coveted a blue Shakey box when I lived on the south coast in my early teens. Would have been brilliant for my beachcasting expeditions. Had a massive old wicker basket instead that stank of rotten squid 😂

I bought thanks to your heads up a couple of light quiver rods I shall probably never use to go with all the others.😄 But seriously the perfect tool for a small bomb or feeder link. Thanks.

Me too
Got 3 rods , a weigh sling and some bank sticks for about the same price as a takeaway curry for 2.
Perfect for son in law and grandkids who want to go muddy hole fishing and I’m sure I’ll give them a whirl too.

As Jon F said if it’s only for odd sessions on barbel or you’re trying it out then a wise choice
We all fall into the trap of expensive rods= more fish , when in reality until you have reached a fair degree of proficiency , we don’t utilise those small percentages where a custom or high end rod might make a difference
If you’re missing bites, losing fish and it’s down to the rod , consider a trade up but I’ll wager a change in hooks, line or shotting patterns will make a much bigger improvement than an additional £200 on a rod
I think a lot of us buy them cos we can- some people collect models, we hoard rods & reels and I’m as guilty as anyone

I have been blessed to fish with some bona fide legends ( John Wilson being one) and they all used what we would consider ‘battered’ rods and reels but you guessed it, they caught aplenty
Watercraft is all they were interested in.
Enjoy

Me too
Got 3 rods , a weigh sling and some bank sticks for about the same price as a takeaway curry for 2.
Perfect for son in law and grandkids who want to go muddy hole fishing and I’m sure I’ll give them a whirl too.
Two rods arrived today, just about unharmed by Evri despite packaging damaged. But excellent looking rods and should be a joy to use for smaller species.

The light quiver is the rod I want for a while, no reason to not have it now. And thank god I didn’t buy the Korum quiver rod (a nice rod, but skp is better, especially at this price)
The Superteam light feeder looks a very useful rod. It is 45g casting weight with lines to 6lb, but the video blurb says can go heavier esp with braid. A 2oz lead or feeder would be fine, a good chubber?

The light tip is the nearest to a light bomb rod that are rare now, ideal for smaller species and comes with white painted tips, the light feeder green.. yuk.

Fill 'yer boots you won't be disappointed.

Back