• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Set lines on the Wye

Probably confirm. For many decades (make that many centuries) before the designated current set of suspects were allegedly setting such things (and, worse, bottom-leaded, top-floated, sub surface-fishing gillnets for anything that ran upriver), it was going on - Wye and all over Wales.

Hi All,

I've just been told that a large number of fixed lines have been found on one of the Wye and Usk Foundation's waters.

Can anyone confirm the story?

One of the guys on the Wye thread (sorry can't recall at mo who) had heard a rumour of something similar at Biblins?

Multi hook long-lines have been found up and down the river over the last few years. They are usually long-lineskis placed by our Eastern European friends.

Having said that, I've spoken with guys that used to 'borrow' salmon from the river. The tales they tell would make your hair stand on end, like bows and arrows tipped with shotgun cartridges :eek:

I'v moved EE's on the last 3 times I'v been on the Wye, there normally just armed with a spinning rod. I'v never found any lines yet though.

With good bailiffing this problem can be solved as it was on the Hereford club waters following a problem with EE's engaging in some free fishing...time for the WUF to back up their claims of caring for the rivers and ploughing some money into proper security, i.e bailiffs who actually bailiff and dont treat the fisheries as private domains for them and their mates...after all they (WUF) seem to have enough money from all their takings....rolleyes:

I've emailed WUF to see what to do if I/any found it - obv need to ring EA urgently and then WUF. after all i think it's the job of locals and out of towners to act - and to know what to do.

They confirmed a problem on one of the "passport stretches" but no more specifics - but is being closely watched now.

Keep our eyes out i guess

If there are salmon present in the stretch concerned, then just see the EA bailiffs step up patrols, maybe even do a night-time stake-out with night vision glasses, salmon tending to really kick ass.

Dave Burr earlier mentioned the professional salmon-poachers on the Wye; I knew a good number on the rivers of West Wales from the late 1960s right through to the mid 1990s ("keen" or what?): all I can say is just be thankful that barbel aren't salmon...

What i cant get my head round is the situation on the Monmouth road bridge.
There are up to a dozen or more anglers (for want of a better word) quite blatantly and openly for all to see, using rods and drop nets trying to take the Salmon from the stretch. If the EA cant be bothered to tackle the situation on the bridge, then forget them taking interest in harder to patrol areas!

Ray

The bloody thing was closed last time I tried to drive across lol It may stop them for a few days lol but like you I have seen them and wonder how the hell they ever gonna land a fish from upon high.

Brian

Ray

The bloody thing was closed last time I tried to drive across lol It may stop them for a few days lol but like you I have seen them and wonder how the hell they ever gonna land a fish from upon high.

Brian

If they do hook a fish they walk down the steps at the end of the bridge. I always wonder how they get away with fishing there but it's gone on for as long as i can remember

There has been some set lines found on stretches of the middle Trent,E.Europeans being the prime suspects,they will take any fish for the table that manages to hang itself onto the fixed hooks,including barbel.:mad:

They tend to mark the lines with things like an old detergent bottle tied to something on the bank,so be vigilant and remove any that you find.

There has been some set lines found on stretches of the middle Trent,E.Europeans being the prime suspects,they will take any fish for the table that manages to hang itself onto the fixed hooks,including barbel.:mad:

They tend to mark the lines with things like an old detergent bottle tied to something on the bank,so be vigilant and remove any that you find.

In the words of Alan Partridge....."Subhuman scum"

WE should let the EE's or poachers or whoever, Know that we intend to poison all fish found on long lines and put them back in the river and it is up to them if they eat it or not and see what happens then.

Peter Stone wrote of his old dad doing the same thing, apparently it accounted for some very big chub, and eels.

Re PB's mention of salmon, sadly the only way the get any reaction from the EA up't north is to report any incident as 'snatching' then they move like 'stuff' off a shovel

Always have been, as have the ones after salmon on the Town Bridge over the Usk. We are so particular about just who we privately and publicly hate these days, though, aren't we...?/

The practise of setting long lines is happening on many waters, I have removed them from the Rivers Ribble, Kennet, Wye and Aire, two weeks ago I removed 11 set lines and a gill net from a stretch of the River Ribble on the RVBC water in Clitheroe, during a surveillance operation. It was reported but I haven't seen any more bailiffs on the river bank. it's much easier to walk around a commercial fishery. I am fortunate on my water as I have a good team of bailiffs, We work in shifts so at anytime there are 2 bailiffs around. We also have night sight scopes and 2 large search lights similar to those used by the police force. Various barbed wire entanglements have been put in the woods that border the river. I also allow all armed forces personal home on leave from Afghanistan to fish the water free of charge. These guys are often in uniform so they act as a good deterrent, also they are an added pair of eyes on the water. On e of the big problem on the River Wye is that much of the water is closed to night angling so poachers have are free to roam as they please. I would like to see all the angling clubs to seriously think about allowing members to access the water during the hours of darkness. This can certainly be a good deterrent

Back