• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Selfish Part 2

Nick Clark

I’m amazed at the criticisms I’ve read aimed at people that pre-bait with hundreds of KGs of bait, or fish with 10s of KGs in any one session. What’s wrong with it? Next they’ll be saying it’s wrong to use trawler nets.

Or like the lord of the manor used to do: get your servants to put barrows of worms into a swim for a few days before going down there and dragging all the barbel out?

Fished the first day with 10hrs on the bank and one long beauty at 12lb. Total bait used:

10 (or less) single small hook baits
A jamjar of paste and 9 small (25mm) pva bags of my mix

I don’t always catch but I don’t mind. I like to watch and think/see where the fish are likely to be and travel light. It’s great to be on the riverbank again. I thought that was the pleasure of fishing.

Last edited:
"It’s great to be on the riverbank again. I thought that was the pleasure of fishing. "

It is Nick, but different anglers get their pleasure in different ways. Some like to go with minimum prep and see what happens, others prefer to put in the ground work and plan a campaign. One method cannot be classed as more enjoyable than the other, it's a matter of personal choice. And a lot of people are somewhere in between the two.

Sign of the times?

I am increasingly fishing rivers as I find it difficult to find places to do some traditional,low tech,low pressure fishing.
At many lakes,unless you are there are some unearthly hour you cannot get a spot and when you do,some urksome individual casts right into or across your swim!

I hope this is not a sign that the domineering,ton of tackle,bivvy brigade are now taking over the rivers too.

They are and in certain areas they have Richard, I hate to say it but Mr Boote's might have a point with some of his rants about attitude of the modern angler.

Not long to wait for those new Phallatrax super fast baiting speed boats for barbel to be seen on all fast flowing rivers near you.

I am increasingly fishing rivers as I find it difficult to find places to do some traditional,low tech,low pressure fishing.
At many lakes,unless you are there are some unearthly hour you cannot get a spot and when you do,some urksome individual casts right into or across your swim!

I hope this is not a sign that the domineering,ton of tackle,bivvy brigade are now taking over the rivers too.

They are and in certain areas they have Richard, I hate to say it but Mr Boote's might have a point with some of his rants about attitude of the modern angler.

Apologies if I am missing the point here and that some amazingly clever, sarcastic bit of fun is going on, it must have flown over my head.

Due to several factors centering around the times I can fish and how I get to the river, most of you that would happen upon me during a trip to the Kennet, would have me down as on of those 'bivvy boys'. The fact that I am equally interested in traditional tackle and methods of angling probably wouldn't even enter your (tiny?) minds. It's incredibly easy to label people as one type of angler or another, when in actual fact things are rarely so black or white.

Dave Gauntlett had it right on the other thread. It's having respect for other anglers, the fish and the environment that is important.

Back