• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Self taking photos

Jamie Warren

What do people use for self taking photos? Most of the time I use my iPhone, but the pictures are normally rubbish, more like keeping a record, but what about a proper shot? Any advice welcome 👍

I have a Gardner deluxe camera adapter of which one side screws into a bank stick and goes into the ground, the other end screws into a selfie adapter (couple of quid from ebay). Once the phone is inserted into said selfie adapter, sometimes I'll take pics of daylight caught fish using the front selfie camera which makes it easy to line yourself up as you can see the phone screen, but these are nearly always blurry so more often than not I'll use the proper phone camera on the rear. I always set up the phone to be far enough away (say 5 feet) so that it captures a little bit more of my surroundings than is ideal, but I can then crop the pic. I also find, if dark enough for flash to work, having the camera set up a little further away doesn't overpower the picture with the flash.

To make it all work, I use the 'whistle camera' app on my phone, so I only have to whistle to take a pic (yes I'm that annoying d1ck you can hear whistling in the bushes late at night 😂 ).

I use a Panasonic Lumix G6, which is a 'four-thirds' camera with a swivelling viewfinder and a good flash. The lens is also interchangeable. Pretty versatile and great quality shots.

Checkout this thread some ideas here

Jamie are you using the rear-facing camera (selfie) or front-facing one? The latter has a much higher resolution. You can't see yourself on the screen but ten minutes of practice at home getting used to distance, stick height, and angles will have you sorted.

I use an I-phone but change the setting to portrait which give some depth of field and the 10second timer
And a cheap tripod device from NGT for clamping the phone.
Ive got to say I have been pretty happy with the results although I don't take a lot of photos nowadays

I use a mini tripod or the gardner adaptor on a bankstick with a compact Samsung EX2F (flip screen) and an cheap intervalometer off ebay.

the intervalometer plugs into the camera and has a cable long enough to reach the unhooking mat. its allows me to program a delay, before an amount of photos with a specific time in between each shot.

Works pretty well.

Checkout this thread some ideas here

I second Gerry's suggestion to check out that thread. I posted in there detailing how I use a crop sensor DSLR mounted on a bank stick to get a balance between portability and high quality imagery. Hopefully you can get something useful from that or feel free to PM me if you want more info on how I set up the camera to get razor sharp focus.

Jamie are you using the rear-facing camera (selfie) or front-facing one? The latter has a much higher resolution. You can't see yourself on the screen but ten minutes of practice at home getting used to distance, stick height, and angles will have you sorted.
spot on pitch black rear camera as its got its own flash
Trent barbel.jpg

Back