• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Seeking Trent Advice

Kevin Speight

Hello all. I'm taking my 8 year old lad on a bit of a road trip holiday in early August. A night here and there with a variety of activities, and I thought it'd be rude not to squeeze in a bit of fishing.

Our trip back south will take us through Trent country, so I'm after a suitable day ticket water where we can lob out a couple of feeders and stand a decent chance of a few fish. A bit of Googling suggests Fiskerton might be a good bet, but I thought I'd ask here. I've got gear for more or less any type of water, having fished bigger rivers like the Lower Severn, right down to tiny little streams, so thats not a limiting factor. I guess the main thing is the best chance for a few bites.

Many thanks in advance!

Hello all. I'm taking my 8 year old lad on a bit of a road trip holiday in early August. A night here and there with a variety of activities, and I thought it'd be rude not to squeeze in a bit of fishing.

Our trip back south will take us through Trent country, so I'm after a suitable day ticket water where we can lob out a couple of feeders and stand a decent chance of a few fish. A bit of Googling suggests Fiskerton might be a good bet, but I thought I'd ask here. I've got gear for more or less any type of water, having fished bigger rivers like the Lower Severn, right down to tiny little streams, so thats not a limiting factor. I guess the main thing is the best chance for a few bites.

Many thanks in advance!
Theres afew prolific day ticket waters but as you’d imagine they are popular and most require pre book.
August might be pushing it.
The obvious one to most is probably Collingham but that’s the last place I’d want to take an 8 year old simply due to the work involved (long casts, heavy loads, lots of snags)
There’s smeatons on the old river which is a prolific 7 peg stretch and again very popular because the fishing is excellent there.

You’ve mentioned fiskerton which is a good shout opposite east stoke but the one that springs to my mind that doesn’t require pre book is bob’s island.

It’s a narrow bit of prolific river and backwater from a secure locked island and it’s a case of turn up and get on a vacant peg. I think that would probably be ideal for a spontaneous place for the two of you to drop on your way back.
Time it for a weekday and you’ll stand a good chance of a decent peg. Some real monsters are in there not just barbel.

There's A1 pits near Newark.

Again, can get very busy, but there are 200 pegs to go at I believe. Fairly easy fishing, and a decent chance of some good fish.

Back